What Do You Think Of Voodoo?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

All people ever associate voodoo with is dolls and sticking pins in dolls to hex someone and make them suffer. But voodoo isn't all about vengeance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou
    Do you think voodoo should be classified as a religion, a cult, black magic or something worse?

2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I'm really skeptical when it comes to this kind of topics, but I've never experienced something like that so I can't be completely sure. But as far as I know I think that it should be considered as a cult, there must be a lot of history and practice behind voodoo. I will do some research about it.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I don't subscribe to "woo" in any form. However, I am respectful of other's beliefs, including Voodoo. I'm just not going to give it any credence in my own life. ;)

4. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I don't really know much about voodoo. Is it even real? If it is and some cultures practice it then it could be a tribal/community practice or a religion since there are gods involved. I really have to look into this voodoo is quite interesting especially since there are a lot of stories of black magic surrounding it.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Despite so many evidences, I don't believe in voodoo because I am a religious person. But some friends tend to believe because they had experienced. One is a guy who had jilted a girl in the province. They say that the girl sought the services of a skilled witch who cast a spell on the erring guy. That guy couldn't eat without looking at the photo of the girl and he couldn't sleep unless he see the photo. Only another witch was able to break that spell. Strange?

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Do these things [hexes] work because the person casting them believes they'll work? You've heard of placebos curing people's diseases because they believe they were getting better? Maybe hexes, curses and the like work the same way. As long as the person casting the spell has no doubt that their spell will make someone suffer it will?

7. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Voodoo has an association with the devil and the dark arts I think. Many of their rituals seem to involve blood or spell casting. I think it was originally an African practice that spread to the New World. It is still practiced in the Carribbean and even parts of Louisiana. I know a few people I would like to make dolls of, and stick pins in lol...

8. FrankieD

FrankieD Well-Known Member

What do I think of voodoo? The same thing I think of everything else that has no real evidence and shows all the signs of being fabricated out of the ignorance of ancient people - which includes religions.

Voodoo:

a black religious cult practiced in the Caribbean and the southern US, combining elements of Roman Catholic ritual with traditional African magical and religious rites, and characterized by sorcery and spirit possession.

Yah, I think until someone can demonstrate this kind of thing as being real and true, it needs to be put in the BS category until further notice.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I doubt it's all about making dolls and sticking pins. I've heard that there are voodoo "contracts" [sell your soul sort of thing] which anyone interested in practicing the dark arts must sign. It could be nothing more than rumors but I'm certain though that the dark magic you learn will come at a price anyway. It needn't involve any soul-selling. They sacrifice animals. That I think is how the dark entities get their payment — blood/life for dark magic.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I don't believe in voodoo although I know a lot of others do. If it should be classed as a religion or not is a different matter and while I guess it can be classed as a form or religious belief, I'm not sure if I'd put it along side the likes of Christianity or anything like that.