What Do You Think Of Wicca?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I have heard in the U.K. Jedi is recognized as a true religion...

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

People would state their religion was 'Jedi' on a census (the last one) apparently. Even though I love Star Wars and said I was a Jedi on my Facebook page, it's more of a statement rather than a fact. Some people would say they are Jedi to mock religion, but the real Jedi religion, well unless George Lucas approved, how can they say it's authentic?

3. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Eh, everyone's entitled to their beliefs, religion and gender. Wicca, wiccans or witches don't offend me nor is their religion harmful compared to some cults out there in the West performing blood sacrifices and such. I always thought witchcraft was derivative of voodoo or some other traditions that when performed spirits will actually help you-- for a long time I believed it was some sort of psychological placebo.

4. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

Where I agree with the goals of preserving nature and the earth, I don't see I to eye with the delusion of control in magic and spells. In their religious statement where they say they believe in a evolutionary concept, a scientific concept, yet they are dabbling in nonscientific practices. It seems their beliefs and practices are contradictory to one another in some aspects.

5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I think that if life were a gigantic RPG, I would be a warrior, and maybe one of my tinier friends with weaker physical abilities but a strong spirit could be turned into a wiccan. Then we could face evil with a well-balanced assault.

6. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I'm not into Wicca, but if someone else finds meaning in said, more power to them. It just seems too New Age "woo-woo". I realize most religions have supernatural or otherwise unusual claims, so I'm not singling out Wicca in this regard. Anyway, I tend to be agnostic, but I'm not hostile to faith or people's free exercise thereof.

7. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

According to that quote, I don't have to join. I'm already there. That's pretty much what I do on a daily basis, and I don't call myself a Wiccan. I am what I am. And I don't see how that last quote has anything to do with hexing

8. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Wicca gives the impression that anyone can join and learn about magick. Most people want to do it because they want to know how to do spells to either make people fall in love with them or for revenge. It is a misconception as far as I am concerned, which is why wicca is so commercial. Every website or shop sells things that don't do very much, but claim to do so.

9. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

It opens the door to demonic possession and oppression. It's condemned by God.

10. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

I think people that consider wicca/pagan people demon oppressed or trying to do powerful controlling spells clearly haven't meet very many of them. Generally they tend to be a bunch of herbal-tea drinking hippies and the content of their "spells" much more positive and selfless, I suspect, than the content of the average Christian persons "prayers".

I mean the great majority of Wiccans hold to the idea that a selfish spell punishes the caster three times over. But many Christians see no problem with sending out prayers that ask for God to benefit their life in materialistic or otherwise selfish ways.