What do you use to manage your portfolio?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by richc3, Jun 19, 2014.

1. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

Right now, I'm just using the basic Google Finance, but I'm looking to make a switch to something else. I know Excel spreadsheets are quite popular, but can take a lot of effort to setup at first.

How about you guys though? What do you use to track your portfolio?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I have most of my $ spread out among several of the larger, more stable broker dealers. I manage everything for myself and the small number of accredited investors I have as clients.

3. Value Prophet

Value Prophet Member

I use Google Finance to track the what my shares are up to and think it's good enough. However to track my portfolio's performance over time, I periodically note the current value of my portfolio (from Google Finance) and enter the current balance in a portfolio tracking spreadsheet. I have an example spreadsheet in the resources page of my Value Prophet web site that you can use (sorry I'm a newbie to bullmarketboard so can't post the link :). I especially try and note the current balance at same time each quarter and at the end of my tax year (31 March for us). Hope this helps.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well for managing the investments themselves I ofc use the tools that my broker gives me.
    For keeping track, well my broker offers great tools for that too but I also have my own Excel files and this great app called Smart Stock on my phone.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I use Google Sheets to track a summary of IRA and regular brokerage accounts. Three pages: (1) mirrors the brokerage positions summary; (2) uses most of the GoogleFinance functions to show price and volume data to calculate price targets, covered calls, trailing stops, and portfolio percentages; and (3) dividend dates and amounts. Most of the data is fed from the top sheet so there is a minimal amount of work to update the spreadsheet.

I don't bother using a PC anymore. This one spreadsheet is accessible on both the tablet and smartphone that I drag around the house and car.

I've long since given up tracking individual lots and dividends from the days I used VisiCalc, Multiplan, 1-2-3, and early days of Excel. For me, that level of detail is totally unnecessary with brokers now tracking and reporting tax lot level detail.

HTH, YMMV.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

To be honest in the beginning I did a lot of it myself but now it's mainly handled by brokers. I get updated on any big moves, but other than that it's running pretty smooth at the moment so I try not to get too involved.

7. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I've always managed my own using various websites along with Google drive to keep everything backed up. It's not a very difficult thing to do if you keep atop of things constantly.