What does 'faith' mean to you?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Alex, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I haven't exactly lost my faith in humanity, but I DO sense a HUGE loss of faith in our leaders. No matter what realm of the political spectrum you're on, I've seen almost everyone come to the same conclusion: things aren't working, and we cannot trust those in power to fix them.

2. danben

danben Member

When I heat have Faith, I think primarily in God and having faith in whateverr plan he may have for us, assuming he is real and that there is a God. In my mind you just have to believe.

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

True faith is believing on Jesus Christ and what he did for us all on the cross. Then after salvation, having faith in his promises and words.

4. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I don't think faith is blind trust. Faith is about accepting what you don't know or leaving it up to the man in the sky. Faith is wisdom that you don't know everything but trusting that you don't need to know everything anyway to be happy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I'd lost faith in humanity but my faith was restored after reading a certain book. It's just that people don't know what it is they really want. Someone needs to remind them that there's more to life than everything else they pursue [fame, power, wealth]. All these are good to have but they are nothing because we all die in the end and leave everything behind. So why not focus on things that really matter? Be kind to others — just be a decent person and you'll be happy.

6. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

I believe,
    without word 'knowledge', faith is a blind trust.
    with word 'knowledge', faith is a self belief.
    definition of faith differs individually by word 'knowledge'.
    (Knowledge means answer of question, what i knew about myself ? )

7. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

Faith means belief in a supernatural power who is unseen, almighty and infallible. Without faith, I would lose purpose of life since life in this world is temporary and is full of more downs than ups. Faith means that there is more to life than being born, have an education, marry, have children then acquire property and die. Each of us was created for a purpose and faith gives me the courage to wake up every morning in pursuit of that greater purpose.

8. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

I have absolute faith in god, although I am not religious at all. It's funny how one often assumes people are Christian automatically when they profess a belief in god.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Personally I only try to find faith in myself, as I'm not religious and I often find that having faith in others you often get let down.

At the end of the day there's only one person who you can truly believe and have faith in, and that's you.

10. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

Faith for me has always been in myself, not in a higher power. I've never been religious, though I was raised in a VERY Catholic home. I was forced to try to believe that someone I couldn't bring myself to believe in was going to be my savior, and that blind faith just wasn't for me.

Personally, I can't have faith in something if I just can't believe that it's going to work out for me.