What is stock market?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by Determined2014, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Can someone please give me the detials of stock market how it works and how to get involved

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Basically the stock market is a place where you can buy pieces of companies and expect for their value to come up and when that happens you sell those shares and make a profit.

More technical info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market

:)

"A stock market or equity market is the aggregation of buyers and sellers (a loose network of economic transactions, not a physical facility or discrete entity) of stocks (shares); these are securitieslisted on a stock exchange as well as those only traded privately."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

There's a wealth of valuable info on these forums here at this website. And the books and authors many of us have recommended will be a huge help.

4. Gelsemium

Yep, just a matter of looking up and start investing, good luck determined, one day you might be as successful as JR here. :)

5. IrishLad

IrishLad Member

What books would you recommend reading? I have a decent knowledge of investing and economics, but I'm no expert and have never invested real money before.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd start with Benjamin Graham (especially "The Intelligent Investor") and Peter Lynch - "Beating the Street", "One Up on Wall Street", etc.

7. Parassd

Parassd Active Member

You could hook up to websites such as investopedia and books like the intelligent investor to learn more about the stock market, and there are many threads in this forum with priceless information and tips from many investors, you better atart reading if you're serious about investing. All the best :D

8. Gelsemium

Thanks for sharing those titles JR, I am going to try them because I feel that we need good bases to start with.

9. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

The stock market is essentially a place where companies issues shares to investors (yourself) for a cut or percentage in their company. For example, I have company A, and I want to raise additional revenue to expand my business, what I do is approach the Stock Market in my country or region, and apply for my company to be listed, say I issue a million shares and you buy two hundred and fifty thousand worth of shares in my company, you now become an owner in my company, owing a quarter of my company. Of course, I myself would have shares in the company and so I would own the lion's share while all other investors own smaller portions, so it's a quite simple concept, just think of it as buying into a company :)

10. Gelsemium

It's a win win business like you say investor, considering your company is doing well, but in fact it's mega complex.