What kind of relationship did you prefer to have with tenants?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by shilpa123, Nov 3, 2014.

1. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I think the relationship between tenants and landlords differs from people to people. Some people prefer to be very close to them while others prefer to keep their distance. What kind of relationship do you think is correct?

2. jason

jason Guest

It differs from tenant to tenant. Some are really involved and some want to be left alone. I just try to gauge from our conversations. I prefer to be more hands on and talk with mine but if they don't seem receptive, I'm happy to leave them alone as long as everything is paid on time and in good order.

3. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

The best relation to have with tenants is one where both sides fulfill their obligations, tenants paying and landlord keeping the place neat, that's pretty much it.

4. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Like others said above, it depends on the tenant. I like a close enough relationship where I actually get to like the tenants and they get to like me. This creates a bond that encourages them to rent longer.

At the same time, it's business. So, I don't want to get so friendly where I make bad business decisions to please them. Business must always come first... well at least in this type of situation.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I'm one of those people who hate interactions with people. So I always have an agent who handles such matters for me. The tenants know that their landlord is some guy who lives far away and they never get to see him. For those of you who'd prefer to be friends with tenants that would also be great but it's not for everyone.

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

There's no need to interact IMO, it's a business relation, they pay and we give the house. If a personal relation develops that's another thing, a separate one.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Well said Gelsemium...i have learned the hard way, i became too close to them and i had to bear the brunt of them{tenants} morphing into demons if i could be so bold...its a business...lets treat it like one and reap efforts of success :)

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Yep, that can happen, I mean, you become friends with them and before you know it you're in trouble, so most likely it's better not to mix things.

9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Well, I would say that it all depends with the tenant,I believe in being professional with them, at the same time being friendly with them, but to know that their are limits in this frienship, know not to cross the boundaries between the friendliness and the professionalism. that way the tenants do not take you for granted.

10. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Could neighbors next door to one's tenants sow in bad blood? maybe by giving new tenants stories/gossip in regard to the owner of the property...and how can one sort out such a problem?...as far as professionalism and business matters go, because i could very well be so professional but someone out there is wishing for my downfall...how do you cut the line?...share your thoughts and help me out :)