What makes US, unique from other countries?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Amin, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Amin

Amin Guest

I don't know much about US and west in general other than movies and tv shows. I'm interested in the west and how different they are compared to us middle easters, so what makes US or better to say Americans stand out from other nations? what's in their culture that made them the world's leader and most powerful?

I've heard Americans don't lie, but over here in Iran, people are used to lying and going behind each other's back.

2. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I'm from Asia so my perspective is my own. I find that Americans are quite attached and devoted to the idea of freedom. Freedom in the press, freedom of speech, freedom to practice their own religion and freedom to marry anyone they want/LGBT equality etc. We don't have that grand of a Democracy where I'm from so I've always been impressed and slightly jealous but ofcourse Freedom also has it's downsides. The right to carry arms is quite dangerous and freedom to be able to do anything you want as long as it doesn't encroach other anyone else's rights sounds ridiculous to me. I guess it's because public peace, security, economy and culture are what politicians in my country focus on.

3. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

Americans don't lie? I think that is a lie! I think America is powerful because of its economy and military. Don't forget how America changed the fate of World War II and helped the allies to win. Additionally, America is a really big country which is very developed and speaks the most spoken language in world. That just sums it up. Hollywood just helps to market the country.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The video "What Makes America Different" -- http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/What-Makes-America-Different.html#.VgLjwVfD_MI -- may offer some insight to your questions and discussion. It is a 5-minute video.

Praeger University -- http://www.prageruniversity.com/ -- isn't a formal, accredited, institution of higher education but a charitable organization of well-known Dennis Praeger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Prager) and an advisory board. The "course work" -- http://www.prageruniversity.com/courses.php -- consists of 5-minute videos on topics of economics, political science, history, religion and philosopy, and life studies. The videos are not linear; pick and choose the videos of interest. They're well done, interesting and attractive to watch. Recommended.

HTH. YMMV.

5. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

No Mr. Clinton, you didn't have relations with that woman! Of course not!

Liars can be found in any country though, all over the world.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

From my standpoint, US is the melting pot of all races. Migration to the US is prevalent maybe because of the impression that US is the land of milk and honey. Over here, people think that they can easily get a job when they reach the American shores. That notion may have been in our minds since our orientation was American. My prediction is that the original Americans will be shoved out of the mainline by the migrants and in a century or so, the American image that was white will be a multi-colored one.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think it's a difficult question to answer because what a country stands for, will be different to what's important and what the people who live their stand for.

Freedom is a big issue with America as others have said and in an ideal world, one that the US hopes for, freedom will play a key role. Ask American people though how free they think they are, and if they ever will be totally free. You'll get a different answer to what America as a country hopes for.

8. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I think that what makes the US different is the wealth and the weapons, the US is a powerful country because of that and all the other countries fear the US.

9. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well I think that one of the things that makes America different is that we are a huge melting pot with people from all over the world here. We have exposure to many cultures and many ways of doing things. Despite the problems with gun violence and so forth, most people here tend to get along well in my experience. I think as a culture we are more honest than many cultures in many situations. It is what we are taught from the time we are small. Also, people that came here were pioneers and established themselves in a new nation which takes courage and an enteprenurial spirit.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

We're less unique than we used to be, as I feel like younger generations are losing touch with what made us great. Overall though I think we're different because we have a system of government that allows individuals to do as they wish and they long as they are not harming someone else. We embrace liberty and capitalism. Though our government has grown too big, and too power hungry, we still live in a free and prosperous country for the most part.