What makes US, unique from other countries?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Amin, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Wealth, the illusion of freedom and obesity [63% of Americans are obese], that's what makes the U.S appear to be different but at the core there isn't any difference. There's corruption, moral decay, greed — everything horrible which everyone else experiences almost everywhere in the world.

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Freedom is the best part of living in America. As long as we do not break any laws or cause harm to others, we are able to do and say as we please. We have a pretty strong economy and are able to make a lot of money if we figure out the means to do it. It is kinda hard to explain America and the freedoms we have had unless you have lived it.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Large portions and good beer.

4. FlyFish998

FlyFish998 Member

People are people no matter where they live. Lying is a human behavior not specific to any region in particular.

As mentioned by others in this thread an illusion of freedom and a culturally diverse population is a uniquely American experience. The majority of us over-consume, put ourselves in debt to get an education, and then work the rest of our lives as debt slaves. But the American experience is unique in that our exploitation of the petrodollar has allowed us to live in over-abundance.

America has been able to establish itself as world leader because the world's reserve currency is US dollars. Oil is traded in dollars, and this has allowed our country to basically outspend every other country.

5. turt

turt Guest

The US's main advantage is that it attracts the best immigrants. This is how the US innovates beyond other countries. Going back to WW2, look at how many of the scientist that made the weapons were immigrants from other countries (like Germany and Italy).

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

While discrimination still happens in this country, there is a large mixture of people from all over the world who get to enjoy the freedom of this great country. You can practice any religion that you want without fear of punishment and have the freedom to get educated about other people's cultures.

7. Amin

Amin Guest

I agree with @Turt, US attracts many intelligent, well educated people from all over the world, and as mentioned above it's going to be a multicolored nation soon.
    The Strong military definitely plays a major rule in America's power over other countries.

8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure, I live in Mexico and I have only went to the United States a couple of times, but I think that is unique about the country is that they have such a big cultural variety, and not just one "specific" kind of culture like the rest of the world, their culture is like a mix of everything, and that's really appealing for people, or at least it is for me.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think that it's huge melting pot of different people is what makes the US unique. It has cultural variations from all over the world. And you can find different kinds of people in it from different countries. Which makes it such a unique and well rounded place. We know of countries like North Korea who has just their own citizens there and how it's struggling with it's leader's policies. America favours freedom and liberty which is why a lot of people choose and want to be in that place.

10. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

This is VERY true.
    If someone wants to change the world, they generally move to the USA to do it.
    Elon Musk did this very thing, he got an education in Canada because he knew it would make getting to the USA easier.
    In fact most, if not all, of the biggest developments in the past 100 years have originated from the USA.

For all the criticism the USA gets from the international community, there is certainly something unique and special about it.