What makes US, unique from other countries?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Amin, Sep 21, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

This is a very interesting point.
    My initial reaction is "no way that's unique to USA," I figured there must be dozens of other nations with similar systems in place, probably some copied the USA.
    I had to think back to an old political philosophy class and the idea's of sovereignty, legitimacy, authority ect
    I did a little googling (very easy to get off topic and start reading a lot of side material) but could not get something nice and concise that lists places where people are legally allowed to overthrow the government.
    Canada is certainly not at all like the USA in any respect you are talking about, we are technically fully controlled by the British Crown, they are just nice enough to let us manage our affairs. The Governor General's signature is required on a lot of legislation for it too pass. As funny as this sounds, the GG role has been filled with some of the most wonderful human beings in Canadian politics who are successful, brilliant and humanitarian/philanthropically-minded.
    Anyways, I checked in over at Mexico which seems to have a similar setup but I didn't find a 100% certain answer.

I guess the TL;DR of this is does anyone have a chart of nations and where they get their legitimacy to govern and/or if it's constitutionally overthrowable?

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I have learned recently that America is not so unique as it used to be as compared to other good economic countries. There is not much of a difference between us and the UK other than taxes and military issues. It seems as though the UK enjoys many of the same freedoms as we in America do other than I think that UK citizens are not allowed to carry handguns. America is becoming more and more of a melting pot of other cultures and that in itself can make us unique in a way.