What stocks are best for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Rosyrain, May 11, 2014.

1. Abqu

Abqu Well-Known Member

You can always try the myriad number of simulators out on the web to get more comfortable with trading in general. There are all sorts for all the different sorts of investing. Like others have said, you can go with safe bets as another way to get acclimated.

2. InterestedInvesto

InterestedInvesto Active Member

I would say Google is a safe bet as well. They seem to be growing and diversifying, so they're minimizing your risk for you. Also, like most others here have said, Microsoft is a possible option.

3. Nick

Nick Guest

I would have to say Microsoft is a pretty reliable stock. Today, multi-national Microsoft remains at the head of the industry, its desktop operating system market share exceeding 90% and its global annual revenue of more than $44 billion. I'm a big supporter of Microsoft, for a beginner I would Microsoft is a pretty safe investment. While the bulk of Microsoft's profits derive from corporate contracts, a significant minority of its profits is derived from consumers, and Microsoft is a common name both at home and work.

4. Nick

Nick Guest

I would have to say Microsoft is a pretty reliable stock. Today, multi-national Microsoft remains at the head of the industry, its desktop operating system market share exceeding 90% and its global annual revenue of more than $44 billion. I'm a big supporter of Microsoft, for a beginner I would Microsoft is a pretty safe investment. While the bulk of Microsoft's profits derive from corporate contracts, a significant minority of its profits is derived from consumers, and Microsoft is a common name both at home and work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Wow, a lot of votes for Microsoft, I guess it must be a good investment. Thank you for your input.

6. halenfan33

halenfan33 Guest

I would look at oil stocks, HAL, SLB, RIG, XOM. None of the big oil companies are going any where any time soon. Most pay and good dividend too. I owned HAL for a long time, bought in the $20's sold it when it hit $60 last month.

7. uggonen

uggonen Well-Known Member

I'd go for the not risky ones. Something with a stable chart. Once you get more experienced with stock trading, then go for the riskier ones.

8. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I don't think it's just going for the more stable options, I think it's important that starting out you invest in what you know?
    If you know a bit about that particular market you can predict how the stocks will behave and make a small profit to get your foot in the door.

9. saintcj

saintcj Guest

Index funds and ETFs represent your best opportunity to diversify and cut risk while staying investing in markets high or low.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I disagree. They're still bleeding money. They are one of those retailers that has really suffered in recent times. They were below $5 not long ago, and I'm skeptical that they'll see the mid-teens again anytime soon, maybe ever.

I bought puts on this one a while back when I heard Ackman sold out completely. He tried to work a miracle and get the company to turn itself around and bailed when he saw the writing on the wall. It was in the mid-teens then.