What stocks are best for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Rosyrain, May 11, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

Instead of buying individual stocks why not join a VANGUARD type of Mutual Fund? You can choose whichever Mutual Fund Company that you want. Also, look in any exchange trade fund that you can research. I am just now searching Indexed funds.
    Also think of your state's bonds because since you live in that state those bonds should offer tax-free interest.

Many retirees purchase bonds because we hope and pray that any US state could not possibly go bust or bankrupt. Then again I used to say that about city municipal bonds. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO DETROIT'S municipal bonds!

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Detroit's munis (and other municipalities) are a great example of why you should diversify. Not too much in munis, and spread them out among different issuers and municipalities. High rated and high yield corporates, emerging markets debt, etc all have their place as well in one's income / bond portfolio.

For the more experienced investor, high yield bonds often sell at such discounts and pay such high interest (usually) that buying a large number of half-decent ones is quite likely to make you a good amount of money, since the discounts and high interest payments tend to more than make up for those in the portfolio that will default. But this tends to work better when rates are higher.

I also agree about better managed mutual funds being a much safer option in general for unsophisticated investors.

3. mark973

mark973 Well-Known Member

I think NASDAQ would be a lot more risky than Microsoft. For a very beginner, I think Microsoft is a very good way to go.

4. JoshD1990

JoshD1990 Active Member

I'm no expert myself, but I would encourage you to do more self research if you are serious about investing.

It's much easier to lose money than to make it!

5. ap4aaron

ap4aaron Member

I'm going to add IBM to the mix. They never fall down much and are probably the best producer in business machines. Microsoft is probably also a good option; however, with all the NSA leaks, they may start falling.

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

How much does Microsoft stock cost? Is it cheaper than most stocks in the market? I did not think that the desktop operating system market share revenue would be $44 billion. If the revenue is that high then how much is one stock is?

7. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

PandG and Microsoft have both come up on several occasions on searches for good stock for beginners. Glad to see that they are recommended here too.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Member

I think that if you're still new to stock the best thing for you to do is really learned. If you are able to find a broker in your area that will be able to give you some advice. Begin to talk to people that know this field very well and have some sort of success. They will be able to give you some information they will also help to shape the type of investor you will become. Once you do have the information you're looking for I would recommend that you start out small also don't invest money that you need. Invest money that you wouldn't miss even if you lost all. And then from there if you have success, keep doing what you did

9. ejsjourney

ejsjourney Guest

Throughout my years of learning the industry, it is very expedient that I choose the right stock to invest in. Although not knowing how the stock will play it's part, it is the risk we are willing to take. There are a lot of low risk investments to start off with and there are also the major stocks to share. Be that as it may, Microsoft is a solid choice to invest as I have done the same and I really take appreciation that I did. Any stock you wish to partner with definitely takes thorough research as well as an open mind for longevity.

10. hiddenwolf

hiddenwolf Member

No stock is newbie proof. All stocks go up and all stocks go down that's the flow of the stock market. But, if you are fishing for good stocks to keep an eye on I would suggest Just Energy (ticker: JE). They currently have a monthly dividend of $0.07 and run around $5.50 to $5.75. JE has been known to be very consistent with its uptrend and then to come back down toward the end of the month.