Whats More Important, Management Or A Company's Immediate Prospects?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by gowiththeflow, Mar 25, 2018.

1. gowiththeflow

gowiththeflow Senior Investor

Do you focus more on the management of a company, and their track record (for example Elon Musk and Tesla), or do you focus more on the company and its immediate prospects? Which one has he greatest sway for you, management with a great track record or underlying company prospects?

2. Buyonthedips

Buyonthedips Senior Investor

I would not necessarily back a management team blind but if they have a track record and (as many of them do) they are putting their own money in then I would be inclined to research the company and tempted to invest. What do they know that we dont know?

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I tend to look at the numbers, prospects, and other fundamentals moreso than management. Of course if a manager is proving themselves to be incompetent or a flake or whatever, that is usually a red flag.

4. Chartman

Chartman Senior Investor

I think in reality it is a case of finding a balance between quality management and good prospects. Even the best managers in the world may find it difficult to turn around a struggling company. While a company with excellent prospects may never achieve these under an incompetent management.

5. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

It has to be a balance between the 2 - as they say "you cant make a silk purse out of a sow' ear"