What's the biggest problem in our society?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by anorexorcist, Aug 18, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was in history class and my teacher asked us this question, it was pretty interesting because all of us had completely different answers and points of view about this topic, but all of them were valid and important.
    So, I wanted to know your opinion about this, in your opinion what is the biggest problem in our society?

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I think the biggest problem in our society is the lack of values and character a lot of folks seem to have. Apparently a lot of folks didn't have very good upbringings where they were taught respect, loyalty, decency, humility, compassion, etc. If we would just treat each other well and live with purpose and decency, that would take care of a lot of the other problems we have in our society, I believe.

3. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

The utter lack of value for another human being. Our nation goes nuts when Cecil the lion is killed but we doggedly defend the murder of babies.

There is little wonder why some people will shoot up a crowded grade school or movie theatre and not have a problem with it. Of course we have plenty of other issues but I consider this the worst.

4. Timber

Timber Member

Yes Gmckee. If we all practiced the Golden Rule this world would be a better place.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Hmmmm, how selfish people have become. Many people only think of themselves and what they need in this world. We have stopped caring about each other. We need to start helping our communities more.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Our greatest strength is also our flaw. We are individuals and free thinkers which leads to diversity in culture and society. That's what makes life interesting to meet and interact with different people. But that is also our downfall. Segregation, groups, and the hatred that stems from our differences will always lead us to conflict. Diversity and free will, is our greatest achievement and flaw. The ying and the yang. One cannot exist without the other.

7. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I can only think of one. There's been a lack of empathy and love between peoples that confuse our politics, gender and economy. If only we treat each other equally and with love then world peace could actually be a reality.

8. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

The democratization of the truth.
    If enough people have an opinion on something they suddenly want everyone else to think it's true.
    That's not how reality works, truth is not subject to popular opinion.
    It's become so widespread since the internet, it's really disheartening.
    Reminds me of an Ayn Rand dystopia.

As for Ya'll saying people don't respect one another and don't value human life that is true. However it's always been true, it's actually less true now then it has ever been. Before only white males were considered people, everyone else was second class. Now we are lucky to live in a world where this is changing.

If anyone ever tries to tell me "things were better back in year xxxx" I highly encourage them to go to their local library and read microfilm newspapers from that year. What you will read will surprise you.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The lack of respect shown to people is a big issue for me these days, as it seems like anything goes, no matter what effect it as on others or what harm it causes.

It seems like people are only interested in looking after number one, and while that should be a priority, it should be at the expense of others.

10. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

There's definitely not just one that I can pin it down to. There's racism, violence, hatred, greed, thievery, hate, anger, etc. There's so many different things that are problems in our society.