What's the biggest problem in our society?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by anorexorcist, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I'm with Gmckee on this one. Declining morals is one of societies biggest problems. On face value it might seem all harmless but truth is promiscuity will bring to an end the family unit as we know it. And when the family crumbles it won't be long before the nation collapses.

2. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

I do agree with most of the posts here concerning lack of morals and human kindness, but I think specifically in our society there are two problems that come to mind for me that not only contribute to the problems listed above, but also continue to cause society to spiral downward. The first of these is technology. The enhancements in technology and cell phones and other personal devices has really had a negative effect on the younger generations ability to communicate face to face with people. How many times do you see people at dinner on their own phones texting someone else, or even sometimes each other. I say that we need to put the phones away and talk to each other because we are missing out on all types of communication like voice tone and body language when all we do is text.

The second problem that stands out to me in our society is that our government is so far off from where it should be. By that I mean, originally, the government in this country was created to defend our nation and take care of its citizens. However, it has devolved over the years and now it is only operating as a business to serve its own purposes. It is difficult to get the masses to have compassion and concern for each other, let alone morality, when we are continually having our freedoms and resources stolen from us by a government obsessed with power.

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Godlessness. People would rather be the god of their own life so they are stuck in their sin. Which comes with pride, murder, covetousness, greed, hate, racism, everything else.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

The question will vary from person to person on depending where they are from, but I think one of the biggest problems is lack of pride for where you live and lack of compassion for your neighbour. I see all too often young kids swearing at each other and throwing rubbish around, and I hate to sound older than I am, but that was not really the norm when I was a kid. Sure me and a few friends screwed around a lot but nothing like what I see young people doing today.

5. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the biggest problem in western society is the lack of compassion and understanding of people that differ in ethnicity, culture, and religion. A large group of people still have a hard time relating to others as human beings if they don't share a similar background. This is why I think, even though they are so often bashed on, that cultural studies classes need to become more prevalent. I think the emphasis though should be more on finding commonalities as people as opposed to always just delving into the negative history of interactions of different groups.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

In society people have lost their humanity, to care about their fellow beings. We see people being attacked on the street or mugged and people walk on by, even security guards don't intervene due to liability issues.

I saw a CCTV footage of a woman being kicked and beaten up in the ground at an airport and the security guard (a big chap) stood there and watched. When did helping another human come after liability and insurance? Have people stopped caring or are they too selfish?

7. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I think a big part is selfishness and defence for their own person, because society these days seems to be pretty skewed when it comes to that stuff. I mean I've seen reports where a man attempted to intervene between a couple arguing, and then got attacked himself. And another I've read is where a guy came to the aid of a woman, only for the woman to turn around and say that it was him who assaulted her.

Whether these cases are true or not I do not know and keep an open mind about it but it just fills me with a slightly sick feeling that these sorts of things could happen.