What's your favourite beaten up stock?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JadeDoo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

A growth company such as AMZN is typically not going to pay a dividend, and if they do, it will be small - which is not a bad thing IMO. I'd rather growth companies put money into R&D, M&A, or whatever than dividends. A generous dividend will tend to discourage heavy selling / short selling though.

2. Mike Steele

Mike Steele Member

I usually don't have a lot of these candidates, but AMZN post-earnings for sure.

Full Disclaimer - I had them soaring after earnings. So, I got that wrong.
    But, they are so beaten down right now, that after a little consolidation, they are perfectly perched for a retracement back to their previous
    all time highs in the low 400's. Think of it as a house that sold in the 400's around 2008 and then dropped as low as 275 or so. AMZN is that home.
    It hasn't quite dropped that precipitously but it still might during it's consolidation phase. But, after that, I expect, like so many of those $400,000 houses, to zoom
    right back to the higher range of it's all time valuation. And, I expect it to happen before the mid-terms as well!

3. BabyBear

BabyBear Active Member

Whole Foods is definitely worth a look. It's down about 33% since the beginning of the year, and there have been a bunch of analyst downgrades recently. BUT after their earnings announcement last week, the stock opened down and then made a big intraday reversal on a day that the overall market was down 2%. To me, that seems like it might be the sign of a bottom.

4. JR Ewing

I've long found that when the market overreacts negatively to earnings news that is actually NOT bad (just maybe not as GOOD as the street hoped) it's often a great buying opportunity.

5. JR Ewing

6. Wise_Turtle

Wise_Turtle Guest

Mine would have to be NQ Mobile (NQ). It was trading in the $3s a few weeks ago down from a all time high of $25 last year. The cause has been complications resulting from the allegations made against the company by Carson Block. My own DD on this has led me to believe that Carson was full of it and NQ Mobile is a legitimate company. I have a pretty substantial bet placed on their success. The company is up almost 100% in the last few weeks from their low.

7. Brad321

Brad321 Active Member

It is time to begin looking at some miners. HL (Hecla Mining Co.) is looking good at a new 52 week low today. The downside is minimal and should be an easy 20% gainer at some point in the next few months.

With that said... don't take a full position right away. It is better to ease your way in and keep some dry powder ready if precious metals continue to slide a little more. You also need to do some DD on each miner as they are definitely not all safe. HL has the cash to survive this downturn in spot metals pricing, but there are others who may not survive depending on how long the duration is.

I love it when good companies are a bargain for temporary reasons. So what do you think out there, are we bottoming out on gold and silver or is it too early to begin buying the miners? HL hit $2.61 today and I began buying around the low. We'll see in the future if I timed it right or got caught trying to catch a falling knife.

8. TipdOff

TipdOff Well-Known Member

MAT missed their earnings today, but the stock still seems to be a good long term investment. Mattel has the cash reserves to turn things around or simply buy another toy company to drive growth again.

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.17.47 PM.jpg

9. troutski

troutski Guest

I'd have to go with Sprint, although you're not going to see gains in the short-term. The stock has fallen pretty low in the past few years, but the new CEO is pushing for aggressive changes. Sprint's biggest weakness, of course, is its network. Faster upgrades would put the service closer to par with the other major wireless companies, and aggressive unlimited data/best-in-class data packages for family plans would put the company over the top as the go-to service provider on contract.

The long-term success and turnaround for Sprint revolves around the upgrades it can get onto its network in the short-term. I THINK Sprint can manage this turnaround, but it could take time to reflect in the stock price.

10. JR Ewing

I actually sold out of SWHC recently when it dropped below $10. I'd bought it very cheap some years ago and made a lot of money on it. I'll consider buying it again sometime in the future.

Pretty much all of the energy names I own have gotten really beaten down in the last month. I'll be buying more of them very soon. :D