What's your trading style?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by troutski, Jul 21, 2014.

1. troutski

troutski Guest

I focus on individual stocks rather than looking at the overall performance of the stock market. How about you guys? I know my style of doing things give me a very narrow view for investing, but I haven't had any problems so far. I do a minimal amount of research and just go off instinct. I think it works because I'm not investing huge amounts of money. How do you trade? By focusing on the stock market as a whole, or individual sectors, or even individual stocks?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Individual stocks mainly - i.e., "bottom-up". In general, I am somewhat more fond of certain sectors and industries than others, though.

3. troutski

troutski Guest

I agree with individual stocks. I'm not invested in any major funds or indexes at the moment. I kind of spread out the industries I invest in, but I'm the farthest thing from a seasoned investor. I mostly get lucky with small gains and the occasional big winner.

4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Individual sounds basic but I think it seems to be the safest thing to invest in. I have not made any big purchases in my life with dividend stocks so I would not know what works best.

5. troutski

troutski Guest

I like dividend paying stocks, but I also like dividend paying stocks that post strong capital gains. I've had a little luck succeeding on both fronts at once, but I'm only able to invest so much capital, which isn't much at all. So all my gains are great percentage-wise, but not as impressive dollar wise.

6. bmarks

bmarks Member

I invest in individual stocks in sectors that I am genuinely interested in such as technology. It makes doing research and keeping up to date on the company, the sector, and the general state of the market so much easier, which gives me hints to how to plan my next moves.

7. turt

turt Guest

I trade short-term on individual stocks. Much greater gains can be made this way since there is a lot more change.