When Burglars Break In

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Who should pay for anything that gets damaged by the burglars? Should it be the landlord or the tenant? If say the locks are broken who pays for them? Assuming that landlord is to ensure that the houses/premises/apartments they rent out are safe and secure should s/he pay for all other losses?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Assuming you called the cops and had it investigated, I believe you'll generally be responsible for your property, while the tenant will be responsible for their stuff. Of course it could get complicated if it's a secured building or gated community or something, and the security system failed, or any security guards were negligent or whatever.

I'd check with your lawyer just to be sure.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There was an incident like that near our former house. The house was rented and the burglary occurred during the Holy Week (this usually is a 4-day weekend that most people in the city go to the province for a vacation). When the vacationers came back, they discovered that the door was forced open and cabinets were destroyed. The amount stolen was of great value although the damage to the house can be considered minor. But the tenant had offered to have the house repaired because they admitted that it was their fault. The landlord was happy about it.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I live in a security locked building. I had my apartment broken into in the past and I was responsible to have the door fixed and for any damage that was done as a result of the break in. Of course I was responsible for the items that were stolen from my apartment. The landlord fixed the door and lock but I had to give him the money for it. It was covered by my tenant's insurance. That is why I make sure I always have tenant insurance when I move to an apartment. It is well worth it.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

As far as I'm aware I think both parties are responsible. Obviously any damage to the property or belongings taken that was the landlords, would be down to him to repair or replace. Your stuff on the other hand is yours so you'd be the one dealing with whatever as been taken that's yours.

I'm assuming that everything was insured?

6. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

IN the UK, the landlord is liable for any property belonging to them but you are responsible for arranging contents insurance for your own stuff. Similarly, the landlord is responsible for any subsequent repairs and this would include replacing the lock. A decent landlord insurance policy shpuld cover all of this.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

This happened to a house near our former apartment. The tenant woke up early in the morning and heard sounds in the street. Since he was in a hurry to dress up, he proceeded directly to the bathroom. When he turned on the shower, it was dry. It turned out that burglars ran off with their water tank which can be sold at a good price (at the time water pressure was very low so water tank was a necessity). We didn't have the details of the incident but I am assuming that it is the tenant who would shoulder the loss.

8. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Active Member

Neither should pay. Thats the reason why most properties make you get rental insurance. Rental insurance is so dirt cheap, most places just make you do it. Its also a great safety net for anything else.

9. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure property owners are responsible for any damages that happen to the apartment. If it's a house, that might be another story.