When do you sell?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by crimsonghost747, Aug 1, 2015.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

You're tellin' me! Very unusual to get a low triple digit pop on a holding in a single day - even moreso for it to be over 400%! :D

2. microb

microb New Member

I am VERY risk-averse and tend to sell early instead of later. As soon as I can sense my stocks are going to be declining, instead of thinking that they may rise even higher in the future I pull out. This does mean I lose out, however the worry of losing truly scares me!

3. JR Ewing

It's up well over ANOTHER 200% today! I sold what little I had left. I'll keep watching this one for future pullbacks to buy into again.

4. JR Ewing

5. 111kg

111kg Guest

But when do you sell on a small market? For instance, the activity on my local market is pretty linear, with few ups and downs. I guess that trying a speculative strategy isn't the best thing to do, especially on a market where there are not a lot of information available, isn't it?

6. JR Ewing

Yeah, it sounds like it's probably best to stick to a longterm focus if you have very little volatility and info to play on.

I do stick to mostly mid to longterm investing with most of my money, but I do have a small % set aside for shortterm trades, more speculative investing, etc.

7. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

When to sell, I guess is when you think a stock has reached its peak, and will go no further in value. I mean, if we all knew precisely the right time to sell, I think we would all be wealthy, and also people would be coming to us for advice. It is simply one of those things that you have to play by ear I think.

8. JR Ewing

Yeah, that's why I emphasize that a "sell" doesn't necessarily mean "sell all", and CERTAINLY doesn't necessarily mean "sell all then sell SHORT!". It's rare that we time such things just right. Stocks that are overpriced may continue to go up, and often may pretty much stay put at some point.

9. 111kg

111kg Guest

I should probably start a new thread about this subject, but how do you actually know when or if a stock is overpriced?

10. JR Ewing

Fundamentals - generally when things like low PE, PB, P/S, PEG, and high/accelerating earnings, growth, margins, cash flow, etc - start to get in line with or lag competitors in the same or similar industries and sectors; and often when those industries and sectors themselves become more expensive than the overall markets.

When earnings, revenues, margins, competitive advantages, innovations, etc start to stagnate or decline.

Apple, Yahoo, and Google are cheap. Amazon, Netflix, and Tesla are not.

Of course cheap stocks certainly don't always go higher, and expensive stocks often don't come down for a while - they may continue to get more and more expensive for a while.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015