When is the best time to purchase a home?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Francy, May 21, 2014.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

That is a good point worth noting down, please tell me that this move also works in the stock market as well, all the time?...newbie here in all matters stock related.

2. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I also had no clue that the best time to purchase a house is during the chilly freezing season, after reading the threads above, i 'll put that into consideration when i get there :)....hoping soon!

3. lwhite

lwhite Guest

"Sales are particularly down during the winter. Many people want to get out during the summer to look at homes. Many agents have a slump in activity during these months. This may help you to negotiate better because they need the sale!"

Wow, I didn't know that. That's good to know. I'll be looking to buy a house soon and will be looking during the winter now instead of the summer time. Thanks :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  4. cmiller

cmiller Active Member

I would say during a crisis or during the colder months would be the best time.

5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Guest

End of the year would be the best time to consider buying a home, especially in the months of November and December. You can usually see that prices tend to increase on January, just after new year, for no apparent reason. This way, if you were able to buy your property at a cheaper price at the last quarter, you have more or less several months on the following year to consider finding a buyer.

6. netizen

netizen Guest

Winter is considered the 'off season' of house purchasing, meaning that less people buy houses in the winter as opposed to summer time when it's easier to visit proprieties and shop around. Now, to respond to the original question by OP, from an investors perspective I'd say that situations of crisis are a good time to invest heavily in immobile goods- see the past years.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Thanks for the explanation, actually I bought my house in the summer, but that was a coincidence I think.

Crisis are always good times to buy because prices are low, if we do have the money to invest in a crisis we will be richer when the crisis is over.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Member

I would say that any time there's a good time to buy. The key fact is that you need to keep your eyes open and you need to be either and willing to spend time looking for a great deal and great properties. People don't wait for a specific period of time to sell their houses or make any major decisions. They usually a lot of different various factors that come into play. So out say just keep an eye out keep and keep your mind focused on the market and you will definitely pick out something that is worth that time and attention.