When Should An Entrepreneur Let Go Of Their Baby?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by longtermbull, Apr 7, 2018.

1. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

As questions continue to be asked about Mark Zuckerberg and his long-term role with Facebook, Elon Musk is also facing questions about his stewardship of Tesla Motors. When should an entrepreneur learn to let go of their baby?

2. gowiththeflow

gowiththeflow Senior Investor

Elon Musk seems to have the presence and reputation to carry on (for now) but Mark Zuckerberg, I think he struggles with a god complex which sees him doing whatever HE wants.

3. Buyonthedips

Buyonthedips Senior Investor

We all have a particular skillset, whether this is starting companies, managing them when they mature or finding an exit route. Knowing when your maximum value to your baby is coming to an end is not easy - its like the end of a beautiful relationship.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I think that if you get to a point where you know in your head (not your heart) that the valuation has gone beyond what is (now and in the foreseeable future) a reasonable level, you should consider selling a good chunk of your shares.

Of course ownership is control. If you get to that point where you know the stock has gotten far too high for itself, and you know that selling out is in your best interests - and that you may be giving up control in doing so - it may mean that it could be time to step away and move on.

I cannot understand why TSLA sits at such a high valuation. Perhaps Musk and other major shareholders know things that the rest of us do not.

5. gowiththeflow

gowiththeflow Senior Investor

I agree, if it was not for Elon Musk and the "magic" that surrounds him the company would have folded a long time ago. Tesla is basically a bet on Elon Musk, pure and simple.