When To Sell

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by Gomer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DomDom

DomDom Member

I like to fundamentally invest and research stocks. For me the best time to sell is an overpriced market, like right now for example. Sell and dont think about "what if it goes up even more", because it can change to "why didnt I sell when I had the chance".

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

If you really like something you are investing in, is it still a good idea to sell even if the market may go up again? I guess this is the emotional aspect that you should be trying to ignore. And what about retirement investments, is it best to trade those funds too if you have instant access to your account, or should you only trade if you are losing money on a continous basis?

3. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Excellent, thank you for the write-up. Really provided so many answers about selling. I think it's easy to forget that we haven't made a dime until we actually sell the stocks.

I think this is something that each individual has to work through in trial and error. There's no easy route to learning this business.

4. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Excellent, excellent advice that honestly, cannot be said enough. There is no perfect right time to sell. Not one you can predict anyway. Certainly not in advance. If you sell a bit too early, you'll look back on your figures and say 'Ohhh if only I held out a few more days! I'd have made a killing!' But on the other hand, you'll look at your figures another day and say 'Damnit, if I had only sold yesterday, I would have made so much more!'

Sell when YOU think it's best to sell, once you have done your research. And don't ever look up how well the stock did immediately before or after a sale. You'll just make yourself feel bad ;)

5. wanderingwildman

wanderingwildman Well-Known Member

It is so trued that you really have no idea when to sell. You just have to be comfortable with the fact that there is no certainty. That is what prevents many people from success.

6. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be using trading as an instant way of making money, and if you're losing money on a continuous basis, maybe it would be best to stop trading until you better understand why you're always losing money.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

There are so many variables and factors involved in the broad markets that make it very difficult to predict its shortterm movements.

Dig in and find the really good investments that are bargains.

There's nothing wrong with holding quite a bit of cash if you can't find very many bargains at a particular time.

Sell off those individual investments if/ when they are no longer a bargain. If they become more of a bargain due to broad market selloffs or other factors that have nothing to do with that company or the way that company earns money, buy more.

8. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Try and think of the long term movements rather than attempting to predict what is going to happen day to day, because it is next to impossible to do casually.

9. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I am coming to accept the uncertainty of it all, no reward without risk. It is what it is and there is no optimal moment to sell.

10. tikilalalove

tikilalalove Guest

Thanks for this, really. I have many ideas now! Discipline, Risk-taking and Confidence is the key! You can't control everything that might happen. Plan very well, stick on it then take a risk! Don't be afraid. Everyone is one step on success!