Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by Thejamal, Mar 27, 2014.

1. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Appreciate all of the reading materials that everyone posted. Reading is a good way to get in touch with the basics of trading - plenty of experienced people to learn from.

2. Hansen

Hansen Member

I started by learning from my friend. But another easy route is to look for help on reddit. They have a short reading list that should get you started. After that it's just trial and error. You have to learn and pick things up as you go.

3. TraderJK

TraderJK Well-Known Member

Another great book to get you started is: One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch. This is an old book but it has stood the test of time and remains relevant and educational.

4. Francy

Francy Active Member

This is great information. I am also new to this field of investment and am interested in learning more. I will definitely check out all of these sites and do some reading. Thanks!

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I'm saving this thread for the future, there's just so many useful links!
    I'm definitely going to read The Essays of Warren Buffet too, it seems like a fantastic source of knowledge.

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I'm getting quite a list of great-sounding books and websites here! I'm going to start with anything involving Buffett and have a list of his books pulled up in another window as I type. One question about this list... while never knowing much about the Dummies books, I've never really considered them as serious reading. Are they solid when it comes to things like investment advice?

7. safetydancepants

safetydancepants Member

I think the Dummies books are actually great for most of their topics -- they are just true beginners manuals. If it is something you are already knowledgeable about, you are probably above their level, but if you are brand new to a topic I think they are great starting places. I am new to investing and plan on checking out the Dummies books mentioned earlier -- I am going to see if they are at my local library, rather than buying them though. I'd guess that those aren't books you need to go back and reference very often.
    Looking forward to reading up on some of the resources listed here, especially the Warren Buffet one.

I saw someone recommend starting small (turn one dollar into two dollars, etc), and I like that approach. Are there certain web trading companies that are preferred with the group here? It seems like Etrade or Ameritrade are decent starts, any suggestions or warnings when choosing one?

8. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Just got done reading through the first couple Buffet essays. I greatly recommend them to anyone in the same boat as me as far as being new to investing. Just very clear about what expectations should be and fantastic general knowledge needed.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Nice to see that you enjoy it. Hope you learn a lot!

10. ForceofXero

ForceofXero Member

Hey, I'm new to this investing business and I just wanted to thank you guys for posting all this information. I can't learn about it now, but I'd be sure to check them out later today.