Where is the best place to buy stocks?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Rosyrain, May 15, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am interested in buying some stocks, can I just go through the company website or is there a stock trading website I should go through?

2. TraderJK

TraderJK Well-Known Member

Certain US listed companies do allow you to purchase stock directly from them and not via a broker, but your options are limited. Contact the Investor Relations department of the company you are interested in for more details. Most have an Investor Relations page on their website.

Most people use a stockbroker to buy and sell stocks. Stockbrokers offer much more flexibility as well as advice, data and research. There are a number of online brokers available. Much has been said about brokers in this forum, so browse through the related threads for ideas and reviews on the best broker for you.

3. InterestedInvesto

InterestedInvesto Active Member

I can confirm what TraderJK said. Most people would buy stocks using a stockbroker, who places the order at the stock market for you. I didn't know it was possible to do so from the company website.

4. Abqu

Abqu Well-Known Member

It's not standard practice to buy stock directly from a company, unless you're associated with the business in some way (employee stock purchase comes to mind). Your best bet is to find a broker or service that allows you to buy in the marketplace.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Thank you I appreciate the help. Do I have to pay the stockbroker, and how much does this cost?

6. InterestedInvesto

InterestedInvesto Active Member

Yes, you will have to pay the broker. I believe he will take a % of each of your transactions. So, if you sell 10 shares of a stock for 30$ (profit or loss) and make 300$ (probably less than what you bought it for), he will take a cut of that. Like 10%, so you'd have to pay him 30$. This way, he earns money even if you lose money.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

10% fee... seriously now where do you people come from? If I would have to pay more than 1% then I'd most certainly change my broker the very same day.
    Usually it's % of the amount you are buying/selling for, of course with a minimum fee in place. There is a whole thread somewhere in here about the different brokers.

8. mmalka01

mmalka01 Guest

I would recommend to contact a local stockbroker, that is usually the standard practice and in the end it can actually be the best source to get your updates and future information on your choice of stocks.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The cost per transaction will depend upon various factors. If you have less than 6 figures, you'll likely be put into a transactional account that charges you at least a few bucks every time you make a trade. If you have $100k or more, you'll most likely be suited for a managed money account where you are charged a flat % (typically 1% or slightly more), regardless of how many trades you make.

If you have less than 6 figures and want to trade frequently, you'd probably be better off going with a discount broker to save money. And I'd think long and hard about doing several trades a week or more anyway, but that's a whole other subject.

10. jessejeffers

jessejeffers Member

Depends on how much money you have. I prefer E-Trade! You dont have to have a high starting price to join. They also give free stock advice! Good buying!