Where to for AAPL?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 20, 2015.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

They just announced a joint solar energy project with First Solar. Interesting indeed, I'm personally a big supporter of solar energy so this is definitely a good step in my opinion. Whether or not it's financially profitable, that is another matter.

2. TipdOff

TipdOff Well-Known Member

Just remember what happened about 2.5 years ago when Apple hit their all-time high back then. Investors were extremely bullish on the stock just to see it fall almost 50% the following year (in 2013) and over the next 2 years it was performing rather sluggish. Of course, now it's back up. But it's understandable that some investors might be worried. If someone is long on Apple then they should just hold the stock and ignore these market fluctuations. If someone is trying to time the stock and is in it only for the short term then this might be a good time to take gains off the table.

3. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

It's definitely a stock to hold for the longer term, unless something fundamentally changes with the company or the industry. I think many people that got into the name years ago bought it as a trading stock. Now it's basically a portfolio stock that has to be held by fund managers. That changes its dynamics somewhat.

4. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

While I do think Apple will continue growing, I doubt they'd be able to keep it at this rate. Technology changes and shifts all the time, and very quickly. Look at blockbuster or kodak for example. I'm not saying Apple will be the same, but nobody can stay at the top forever, ya know?

5. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

They are enjoying more growth today> it looks like Apple can do no wrong and are going to enjoy a bit more growth but they are hitting the areas where analyst thought they would be when it would begin to taper off prior to Apple...doing more Apple things.

My guess, they'll grow some more, they'll become more valuable, and everyone will have a good time with their new ******s. I tend to think that they are hitting a period where people are buying hardware such as ****s or iMacs but they won't need to rebuy that hardware for some time. There are still a lot of heavy buy recommendations but I wonder where the money comes from when you only sell phones, but the ****** is hot.

6. TipdOff

TipdOff Well-Known Member

Apple is benefiting from huge momentum right now. The stock tends to rise on rumors and anticipation of new products such as the Apple Watch (or even an Apple car) and there seems to be more room for the stock to run. Even though the stock closed at an all-time high today, when you look at its P/E ratio (see below), it's still only trading at the S&P 500 average. So just looking at the numbers, the stock certainly does not seem overvalued. Yet, as an investor you have to be cautious. If Apple misses their earnings during the next earnings report (March 15th) and the Apple Watch does not meet sales estimates then the stock could take a big hit, just like it did in 2012 when everyone thought it was going to go up forever.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: