Where will oil go tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Commodities Forum' started by Hedonologist, Feb 8, 2015.

1. turt

turt Guest

If electric energy storage improves greatly, I doubt we will see much growth in alternative energy. If the public accepts, we will be moving to the nuclear era. With growing energy demands, it will have to work... Nothing provides as much power with so little input.

2. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

The oil industry is never steady so the trick is to go with the flow. When it's high, you have to figure out if it's right to sell your stocks. When it's low, then you might as well keep on buying because it will eventually get high again. Oil is a precious mineral so it will never depreciate no matter how instable it is.

3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Agreed. Oil is a very unstable and constantly changing market and because of that, you just have to be on your toes constantly. There is almost no predicting it, but some people have successfully done that, so I would try to pattern my predictions on the people who have been correct in the past.

4. petesede

petesede Guest

Yep, it is all about probabilities and incremental change and if that incremental change is worth the opportunity cost of committing your money to the investment. Guessing that a stock or commodity is going to increase in value isn´t that hard... you will probably be right more than 50% of the time. But knowing if it goes up is only have the battle, knowing if it goes up by more than the yield of t-bills or bonds is also important.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

All those who thought oil prices would be steadily rising were wrong. Oil prices plummeted to $42 a barrel, a 6 year low.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/oil-sinks-below-42-us-a-barrel-a-6-year-low-1.3190131
    Will oil, as "experts" predicted, go as low as $20 a barrel? That remains to be seen.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I think oil will crab sideways in its current restricted trading range until well into 2016. The smaller NA and Canadian oil drillers may see mergers and some will undoubtedly go out of business. If the next President signs off on the pipeline now held up by Obama that, coupled with allowing oil to be exported, may help the oil industry stabilize and make some profits again. As it is I am holding onto $EXXI, accumulated over the last 2 years, as a risk buy representing ~2% of my holdings. I'm just paying attention and will the plug if the situation collapses.

As a side note, late Friday I heard a short news item on the radio about beginning exporting oil to Mexico. Apparently this was done sometime in the past. I didn't catch enough of the blurb to hear details, why now, etc. I didn't find anything about the exporting or trading today, in the short time I had to look. Anyone have information?

7. User911

User911 Well-Known Member

Well, I can't wait until this reflects at the pump. Prices around my area jumped (for no apparent reason), 30 cents a gallon in the past week. Perhaps after the summer season is over, prices may stabilize a bit. Or not!

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got a few bucks in EXXI myself.

9. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Crude Oil is sell on rise, From 24-8-2015 to 7-9-2015 , Crude might touch 44$ once again in this period, use this point as selling opportunity. Until January 2016, I think, there is no relief for Crude. Below 44$ crude entered in lower-circuit.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Late last year Saudi Arabia said oil could go as low as $20. They expected that this would be punitive for competitors. They could pump more oil but things didn't go as they'd planned. Low oil prices have negatively impacted their economy but whether or not oil will stay above $40 remains to be seen. There are some who believe oil could drop under $20.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/18/investing/oil-prices-15-kotok/
    Oil at $15 may sound crazy, but some grades of crude are already nearing those levels. For example, Western Canadian crude, a heavier type of crude that is more difficult to refine, is currently trading in the $20 range.