Where's the growth?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by ScooterBrandon, Sep 7, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Work's been busy, been a bit lazy on research for a while now.
    One thing I haven't spent nearly as much time reading about is which countries still have lots of growth.
    I know China's markets aren't doing very well, but what about the other BRIC's.
    Any places we should be keeping an eye on that you don't hear about on the regular news cycle?

2. Nox

Nox Guest

It is my knowledge that most of the other BRICS nations aren't doing too well either. Brazil has just entered a recession after 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth, mainly as a result of its domestic financial system and the reduction of commodity prices globally. Falling oil and gas prices have also meant trouble for Russia, oil provides about 50% of the state revenue, and this is the biggest contributor to its recession as well. I'm not too sure how India is doing, but my beloved South Africa is expected to experience only only negligible growth after contracting 1.3% in the second quarter of this year.

I believe trying times are ahead for emerging market economies (with the potential rise of interest rates in the US looming) and commodity led economies (as a result of falling commodity prices). So the bulk of the BRICS nations have been hit with a double whammy, as they have both those features. So I'm actually not too sure which parts of the world are enjoying some great gains at the moment. I'm quite interested to see the opinions of some of the other people on this forum.