Which Investment Gurus Do You Follow?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Chartman, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Chartman

Chartman Senior Investor

There are so many "investment gurus" around today that it is difficult to know who to follow. Who do you follow and why?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I follow those who have (and do) walked the walk successfully.

Ray Dalio, Steve Cohen, Buffett, Icahn, Jim Simons, Peter Lynch, Druckenmiller, et al.

Some are more forthcoming about what they do and have done, others are highly secretive.

Jack Schwager's "Market Wizards" series of books has interviewed several of these guys and many others who are less familiar who have all been very successful.

Of course Benjamin Graham's books "The Intelligent Investor" and "Security Analysis" are also must reads. I've also learned a lot reading such books as "The Quants" and "More Money Than God", as well as Lynch's books and "How to Make Money in Stocks" by William O'Neill. I think it's good to get several different points of view from successful investors, and decide for yourself what to incorporate into your own investing - Graham's methods will always work well over time, for instance - but he would have passed up many good tech stocks that have done incredibly well even longer term in the last couple of decades.

Jim Cramer takes a lot of crap, but his early books certainly had some good info for beginning and intermediate investors. He does have a lot of experience and knowledge, and had some success (and failure) as a hedge fund manager himself. I just caution people not to act on everything he says the way he says 5 days a week in his half hour show. You can perhaps get a good idea from him here and there that you can do your own homework on and decide whether or not to incorporate into your balanced portfolio, but definitely don't hang on his on any other tv commentator's every word.

3. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

Historically I have not really followed any investment gurus on particular stocks but I do tend to listen to what Warren Buffett and George Soros say about the markets.

Tags: