Which party are you a part of?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by alexisfinch24, Jun 4, 2014.

1. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

In politics we all know of two major parties in the arena. Democrats and Republicans which are basically conservatives and liberals. Oh, today there are several other parties but, it all boils back down to these two. So, which of today's political camps are you a member?

I am a Democrat to my core but, I also have some conservative values as well. On all major political issues I vote with the party but, on certain issues like finances and other deeply personal issues I vote with my heart. As a transgender female you can see why I am a liberal. So which are you? Come on people lets share...

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Maybe I'm just too "retro" :D but I was taught by some very wise people that there are some things you don't ask others unless you're looking for an argument.

One is politics. One is religion. And the other two concern never asking a woman her age or weight. :eek:

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Vote Republican and identify with them on most issues. I'm a fiscal conservative and largely a social libertarian... big on fiscal responsibility, the Constitution, individual rights and freedoms, free market capitalism, strong national defense, being tough on violent criminals, etc. Not religious and not opposed to gay marriage and legalized prostitution. In the middle when it comes to drugs and abortion.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. ami560

ami560 Member

Neither. I identify with neither party because my views are complex, like most others, and can't be described by joining one party over the other. I share views with both parties, but I will never be part of one or the other.

5. Leeaks

Leeaks Member

I'm bipartisan. It's the ony way to go. Parties make you hold values that you might not necessarily hold if you thought about it on you own. You get mixed up in thinking "Hey, I am against abortion and gay marriage, so that means I must be pro-war and anti social programs!" This is the wrong way to think about politics. Make an informed decision on each individual issue, don't conform to a party's views.

6. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

I largely side with the republican part and conservative values on most things. I'm mostly concerned about the economy and see that as an important factor when voting for a certain party or person. And conservative economic principles I feel are by far better practice for a stronger economy. If you need proof, just take a peek at what's currently happening in today's market.

While I have opinions on social issues, like everyone else, I don't really factor that into my decision when voting. I want to know how the candidate will improve education, jobs, the economy, stance on taxes, etc.

7. Silver

Silver Active Member

I'm an independant if anything. I abhor politics and anything involved with it. Back when this country was founded, it ran better because the leaders were more business focused. That's what I try to get across to people, getting back to the basics when things actually worked.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  8. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

You have all made some really good points. I was not trying to invade anyones privacy by posting this topic. But, since it is a political section of a forum then I figured it was ok to push this issue. So to the "too retro" person who commented first I am sorry but, this is a political forum. In saying that though I am still glad you voiced your opinion. Thats is what these boards are all about.

9. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

That would be me. Your screen may have missed the smiley icon I posted with it... and the joke about age and weight. I figure even people in a political forum can smile and have fun.... do you agree? Uptightness causes stress and that's not healthy.

I'm not *really* retro (but again, my smiley should have indicated that.) I'm republican although there are some issues I go the other way on, so it's not so cut and dried. You'll find most people will say the same and I don't know many who vote straight party line any longer.

10. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Well-Known Member

Yes, very much agreed. A lot of people have their own set of very complex opinions and views on different issues that can't be easily summarized by the 2 generic set of opinions offered by parties.

And sometimes voting is about compromising some of your opinions on certain issues for the good of the other causes you stand for.