Which social website do you often use?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by shilpa123, Jan 23, 2015.

1. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Facebook is really where I go to keep up with my older relatives. Other than that, it is basically a dead place.

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I have found myself spending more and more time on Instagram. I think Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr are the two places where you can get into contact with the most people, thus making yourself more known.

3. BullishFTW

BullishFTW Member

I use twitter good for all news.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

So that's what it is then... for the older generation huh?...no wonder Facebook never mellowed with me well over the years... then when i wanted to do a little bit of advertising... they came up with all these stringent rules...and blocked two of my accounts for no apparent reason...i just had it with facebook...i have one semi-active account and am rarely there :)

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Rightly said... although for Twitter... if only i had a genie to hand me some followers... i'd be super thrilled, am yet to learn the ropes on how to really use instagram and tumblr plus those two sites chew my internet usage like crazy...so i put a pause on them for awhile :)

6. hijin

hijin Guest

I only use Facebook to get in touch with my sister because she's working overseas. Most of it, though, for new friends and old friends. I don't use LinkedIn because I don't want to connect with old classmates. I have Twitter, Instagram, me2day, and KakaoTalk, but I seldom use Twitter, and I rarely have time for the other three that I had mentioned. Pinterest? I have one, but that is just for DIY projects that I am interested in.

7. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I use Facebook, but I am not an intensive user as I don't like to live my life on the social networks. I like to see some news, play the occasional game, chat, but not at an intense speed.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

When it comes to social media I have to say that I'm not really a massive fan. I've got a Facebook account aswell as Twitter one, but I very rarely use either these days.

I know a lot of people who are never off them, and they've got a load of different profiles on all of the social media sites but for me I've never really been all that interested in sharing my thoughts in that way.

9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

If I don't use the phone to call or send an IM to a friend, I'll use Twitter's direct messaging (DM) capability.

Otherwise I monitor Twitter for breaking business, international, national and local news, weather alerts and a few selected sports and teams. Twitter is the only go-to search tool out there for immediacy, much more so than the Google/Yahoo/Bing search engine complex. For market and company news, I additionally follow *selected* Twitter accounts of persons (on air personalities and regular guests) appearing on the Bloomberg, CNBC, Fox Business and Reuters Business networks.

StockTwits (ST) adds specific breaking news and alerts for stocks in my holdings and watch lists. To be sure, there are the usual trash posts from pump-and-dumpers, bears and bulls who contribute only noise to the message threads, but I just spin through them. Announcements of rating upgrades and downgrades, earnings and news releases, dividends are found there. I find some of the breaking intra-day news gives clues as to reasons for price movements or abnormal volume. ST isn't perfect, but then neither are any other stock message or bulletin boards.

And I am beginning to look at the new Periscope, a Twitter-owned company, that enables users to stream live video from a smartphone or tablet. Again, there is a lot of trash and noise on the service but live broadcast alerts can be limited to the Twitter accounts you follow. Video of breaking news events spread like wildfire, but what I particularly find interesting are the supplemental information kinds of broadcasts offered by persons such as Jon Fortt @jonfortt, the tech guru on CNBC's Squawk Box.

I tend to drag a smartphone around with me most of the time, and all these sources have Android (and iOS) apps. A tablet also gets dragged around the house, gets tossed into a car and travels with me in a suitcase.

FWIW, I also use The Social Radio -- http://www.thesocialradio.com/ -- app to listen to Twitter when driving or in a position that is inappropriate to look at my device's screen. This tool has been in my kit bag for years now, a must-have for me.

HTH. YMMV.

10. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I mostly use Facebook but lately I don't open my account on a daily basis anymore. Maybe I just got bored at it. I also have a Twitter account but I rarely use it. I prefer joining forums because I'm learning more from them.