Who in their right mind would want to visit Dubai?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by 111kg, Nov 27, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Guest

There are some hotels that are authorized to sell alcohol, but the guests are not allowed to drink outside those hotels. Moreover, if the Sharia laws were to be applied strictly, then it would be impossible to go there with your girlfriend and sleep in the same room. However, when it comes to making money, the authorities close their eyes (sometimes).

2. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

Don't travel to Muslim countries, especially given to the current context. Their laws are really harsh... and you being a woman in their Sharia-based society just isn't good given the aforementioned context. Now I'm not trying to say that Muslim are bad or anything, but it's just that people should probably mind their business somewhere else till waters settle a bit.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I wouldn't have a problem visiting Dubai and as a matter of fact there is an online contest I want to enter that has 7 days in Dubai as the grand prize. I mean they hae some amazing things there like indoor skiiing and so forth. With all the wealth that is available in that country, I think it would be a trip like no other. I would not be afraid. I would simply stick to safe areas..and if the worst would happen...well ya only live once.

4. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

Dubai is a great place. You just need to stay out of trouble when you visit and be on your best behavior.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

This is a great example of generalising. Yes, most muslim countries are not great places to visit... most of them are downright dangerous for non-muslims who feel like wandering away from the all inclusive resorts. But not all are like that... the UAE is a good example of things done differently. Especially the cities with a lot of expats are pretty much like western cities... you have your bars, nightclubs, "secret" brothels, shopping malls, etc etc etc. It's all there.

6. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I know many females who went to Dubai without issue.
    You just have to follow the local laws and you will be fine.
    If you can't go on vacation without drinking alcohol, don't go to the UAE.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

What's the problem with the UAE and alcohol? Abu Dhabi had a better nightlife than a lot of the western cities I've been to. Only thing is that you can't drink alcohol out in the streets and most restaurants can't offer it. So if you are eating outside of the hotel then you will not get any with your dinner but you can go to a bar afterwards and get absolutely shitfaced. :D

8. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

But if you are a female and drunk in the streets, bad things can happen and you have little to no recourse.
    From what I hear, as soon as you have alcohol in your blood you basically lose all rights and legal defense should anything happen even if it wasn't your fault.