Why are we here?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by anorexorcist, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Sam1am

Sam1am Guest

The purpose of life is simply to live it...to learn and experience as much as we can, and thereby grow and develop to our fullest potential...to pass on what we have learned to those who follow behind us.

2. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think there's any particular reason why we're here. We are a fluke or nature, and we will be gone in billions of years, and no one will be the wiser. Of course before than I expect that we'll expand our horizons to other planets, and eventually other galaxies--there's just no way that there isn't other life out there, somewhere.

I'm an atheist and people ask me sometimes "you REALLY don't think there's a reason why we're here?" And I say "no...life is chaos, things are random." I think that that puts the onus on all of us as individuals to ASSIGN our lives some meaning before we pass. Otherwise...well it's kind of depressing to think about.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I used to ask this question as a child, and still there is no definitive answer. For us all, we may have a differing purposes or reasons that we many not even realize until maybe the end of our lives.

We are here to 'learn' both good and bad things, that means we can then help others to learn. Why do we need to 'learn' and does that have a purpose, and does it matter? I don't know is the honest truth, but as humanity has evolved, it is about balance between good and bad. Sometimes people will be martyrs and help others see the error of their ways or perceptions, and those who do good deeds, show us that humanity isn't about money or status.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Wouldn't it better if people actually knew what is they are supposed to learn? It would make the whole process of learning a lot easier. I believe that as people get to be more selfish and materialistic even someone who is here to learn something may find themselves unable to learn anything new. In fact they might get to be worse than they were in another [previous] life.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

It depends, like everything else, on one's point of view. If you look from a religious view we are here because God made us to have purpose by existing and praise him. It even depends on a religion. We are also here to be his humble servants and then to earn our tickets to heaven. The meaning of life is an old question so we decided to question everything and then we got the scientific point of view where we are part of evolution and of food chain. Our simple existence is based on our superior brains and minds. We created everything around us to protect ourselves from other things that may harm us. According to that we are here to live in general and to die in the end. By living i mean do whatever we do. Live a great or a miserable life. No difference in the end. Maybe after but in your end no difference. So maybe religion gives hope to people and science is destroying it like it is not important.

6. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Active Member

Who knows why we are here. Maybe we are part of species that is from another ****** and we came here to populate the earth for its resources. Who knows and if you somebody say they know tell them to go fly a kite because its a lie.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone else here, but for me I'm here to find meaning in my life. And that meaning is my family. I am here to provide, protect and care for them. Not just physical things but also mental, emotional and spiritual needs. I am here because I think God wanted me to be the best mother for my son and help him grow as a good man. So maybe that is my meaning and reason as to why I'm alive.

8. roger1003

roger1003 Active Member

We are here for a reason. We are here to learn. Earth is like a gigantic school in which when we die, it means we are already a graduate. Yes, we are not alone. We have a God.

9. artyarson

artyarson Active Member

No one really knows. That's where religion came from. Everyone is constantly looking for a sense in pretty much everything. However, I'd like to put it all aside.

I'm here to enjoy my life that was somehow given to me. Nan, don't get me wrong. I know how, in that sense. However, I have no idea why it was me to born in this particular shell and to these parents.

I'm here do make the world a better place. At least, the one that's mine. Internal and external.

I'm here to create.

I'm here to learn new stuff. All the time.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

Well that is certainly a loaded question, and maybe a bit much for a Monday afternoon after a long day of work, so I am not sure I can really dive into this one quite yet. Plus, we all know there is no answer, but it is fun to kick the question out there and ramble on and see where it takes you, especially with some friends. If you say enough things one of them has to be right, right?