Why do religions need to advertise?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Alex, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I find it strange that people feel the need to advertise and try to covert or spread the message of their religion. Back in the Puritan days, I disagreed with their premise that they were sent to covert and tame the Native Indians, but they saw it as their calling. In the streets you find people on loudhailers preaching or people going door-to-door to spread the word.

I find it so intrusive, because we can decide for ourselves, and go online to look further and choose to visit a place locally. I find it offensive that someone knocks on my door and asks about my religion, because it's private. Surely they can see they offend more than anything, or are they so blinded they can't see that?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Most religions have the policy of taking in converts, i.e. to increase their number. That reason is obvious - more members, more money. That simple. And one way of increasing the revenue is by advertising the religion to effect the entrance of new membership. Most religions are capitalizing on the fanaticism of their members. In the belief that they would be saved, some members would go on a house-to-house search for potential converts to their religion. But most of the time, they come home empty-handed since the times have changed now.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I'm not sure if I'd call it advertising but religious people do see it as their duty to try and get others to see things from their way of thinking.

In a way I think we're all guilty of wanting others to follow what we do, as I think it's just human nature that people like to be leaders rather than followers.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I definitely don't like them coming to my home and trying to convert over to their beliefs. I have my own and if I was curious about another I would go online or visit their church and find out for myself. I don't need somebody driving their religious beliefs down my throat. If nothing else it makes you not even want to listen when you feel like you are being pressured into something.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Converting people never was the purpose of apostles and disciples going round. They had some good news to share. Everyone could live forever. That their sins were forgiven thanks to the sacrifice of the Son of God. Those who heard this good news, that death had been vanquished would on their own accord tell others about the promise of life. Later conversion got to be more about competition. Every denomination wanted to convince people they came in contact with that they are the one true church.

6. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I could add a cynical answer to this one, but I am going to try to refrain from that today.
    Instead consider this.
    Say you 100% whole heatedly believe your religion was the true word of God, and that you were getting into heaven.
    Would you not want to "save" others? Would that not be a noble, great thing to do?

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

That's what the Puritans thought, but the Native Indians didn't need saving and instead the Pilgrims bought smallpox over and killed quite a number of tribes. Why would one be so arrogant to assume that they can 'save' others and that they need saving? Saving from what, if they are content with their way of living?

One thing I have learned is that you can't always save someone who doesn't wish to be saved.

8. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

To me, from my personal experience with religions, it's all about the money. The more people they bring in, the more people are supporting the church, the more people are donating money, etc.

9. SilverMill

SilverMill Active Member

Maybe they want to let me know that God loves me? That, today is the day of my coming to belief that there is God who is compassionate, slow to anger, full of mercy and truth, and is kind? Why would I delay in responding to such an offer of a gift that is free?

I wouldn't suspect them of "advertising". However, I should be very wise and carefully investigate using my judgment, first, about who these group of people are, what they do and believe about sanctity of life. That should be my basis for agreeing.

10. turt

turt Guest

Basically, all successful religions need to continually bring in new members to survive. How else would a religion spread from it's origin?