Why Do You Think Many People Are So Rude On The Net?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Why is it so hard for most people to be courteous on the internet? Does rudeness and an attempt to put others down mean these people are so unhappy [and insecure] that they seek validation online and when they don't get it lash out at others?

Thoughts?

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Ah, this is really a sore spot for me, Rainman, because I've seen so much over the years. A bottom line answer to your question would be anonymity... it's so much easier to be a bully when hiding behind an avatar and computer screen.

Some would say it's because the newer generation hasn't learned manners, ethics, and morality... and that may or may not be true, but I doubt that many of them would be so devastatingly cruel to someone's face (although I know some would.)

I guess it could be said that they must be big ol' sissies to do their bullying anonymously, eh? :) Makes 'em feel all big and important while they're actually just little insignificant worms.

3. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

People are brave when they are behind a computer screen and nobody can see the real person. Then again some people are just rude to everybody. They have no manners and they find fault with what everybody says. I have seen a few of them on various sites that I have been on. They like being bullies and acting like idiots.

4. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Anonymity.
    People don't have to deal with the same consequences as if it were in person.

5. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

People no longer have manners or are taught them in the home or school. This has transferred online too, but more so because they don't have to apologize or be accountable or so they think.

While people are entitled to their opinions, there is a way to do it (in a civil manner) and many don't know how. I heard Trump say on the news that there is no time for political correctness, well, that's just another phrase for being polite and trying to justify being rude.

Being polite costs nothing but speaks volumes about a person's worth.

6. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

It's frustration, net is source, where they can get rude with anybody, abuse anybody. in society, big price for showing frustration. Price is enough to send that person in Jail. On net, Risk is not big.

7. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Well it's hard for people to tell if someone is being rude or not unless they're blatantly calling names and such. But a lot of times people think someone is being rude, when really they're not. It's hard to tell over the internet.

8. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yes, it's hard to tell, agreed. I'm not sure what the original poster referred to exactly, but my answer had more to do with cruelty than rudeness. Like when there's a tragedy and the comment section is filled with blame and negativity... or the kind of cyber bullying that has caused teens to commit suicide at an alarming level.... those things go far beyond the run of the mill rudeness.

Sometimes it's almost like a game between commenters to see who can come up with the cruelest and most biting response. :(

9. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

One word. Anonymity. They are anonymous for the most part. And, that veil gives them courage to say things they wouldn't dare say to someone else in public. Sad but true.

10. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

The lack of direct contact and consequences make people much more bold than they would be in person. In most cases these are the same people that have been picked on in person, and feel like this is where they can level the playing field. It's pretty disturbing.