Why does the price of gold go down?

Discussion in 'Commodities Forum' started by wulfman, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

2. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Someone wanted to sell a lot of Gold. Looks like about 2800 gold futures contracts straight down to the halt.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Interesting graph casper, in this case it wasn't just due to manipulation or speculation, it was simply someone who sold a LOT of it so as more became available, the price went down.

4. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Yep, very interesting. Also an anomaly because it stops for a 20 second halt in CME gold futures at 2:03:02.

Strange?

[​IMG]

5. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

6. tradingpulsealpha

tradingpulsealpha Active Member

Gold goes down because good economy+strong dollar+rising interest rates. The perfect storm. Remind that Gold is not an investment in the proper sense, it does not return anything.

We are short GLD and we love it.

7. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I think there is an aspect of gold that you really have to determine. I think it's good to invest in gold but you really have to look at the long run. There are a bunch of investment options but when do you really see gold going a bit higher? I would love to invest in gold where I can actually have a gold bar in my hand, lol. I think of the pioneers when I consider gold as an investment. What are you views on specific golds?

Do you invest in white gold because of the influx in need because of engagement rings?

Or do you just invest in standard orange gold?

8. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

That is certainly how it should work but i am sure you are not denying that markets in general, (but especially gold & silver) are subject to manipulation. POMO is blatent manipulation and irrespective of if you think it a good thing or a bad thing, NO trader can ignore it without consequence.

Similarly with with HFT which is routinely used to take out stop losses, (stop loss hunting). This puts the retail trader at a huge disadvantage unless they are aware of what is happening. Call it providing liquidity if you will but the main purpose is to fleece retail traders.

This is the type of information which can make all the difference between getting stopped out or not.
    Fari Hamzei ‏@HamzeiAnalytics 44m SELL Programs detected at NYSE #BuySell

9. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Just to make it clear for any traders who think otherwise. ALL MARKETS are MANIPULATED. This needs to be factored in.

Compare and contrast.
    From the Chicago Mercantile Exchange 2012 10-K:

Customer Base

Our customer base includes professional traders, financial institutions, institutional and individual investors, major corporations, manufacturers, producers and governments.
    And from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange 2013 10-K:

Customer Base

Our customer base includes professional traders, financial institutions, institutional and individual investors, major corporations, manufacturers, producers, governments and central banks.
    And there you have it, but in case anyone is still confused, here is some more:

At this point why even pretend there is a "market"? The "market", and by "market" we mean stocks - it has long been known that central banks actively trade bonds, FX and commodities - is whatever central banks say it is.
    Finally, if central banks are going to be rigging the market as they now conclusively are on a daily basis, perhaps they can disclose ahead of the trading day start to everyone, and not just the primary dealers, what the closing S&P 500 price for any given day is.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-05/whats-point-hiding-it-any-longer

10. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

Turt wrote, "When the economy is bad, more people will invest in metals than stocks and other investments." That has been true.
    Additionally, J.R. wrote"speculation, actual demand, strengthening dollar, deflation, etc." That has also been true. I predicted that the price for gold would dip below $1300 dollars; however, I could not foresee ISIS or ISIL capturing dams and oil field in Iraq. I could not foresee Putin invading the Ukraine. Currently gold is close to the $1200 mark. I am just as surprised as everyone else. Yet our US dollar is still weak compared to the Euro.
    I now will predict that gold will decrease further.