Why I Can't Take Donald Trump Seriously

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by FlyFish998, Sep 21, 2015.

1. FlyFish998

FlyFish998 Member

This year's political debates and rallies seem more like a circus parade and media reality show than serious presidential elections.

I oftentimes wonder if I am in the minority, but I just can't take Trump seriously. His unprofessional and demeaning public statements about women and minorities make me question why anyone is supporting this man. Yes, he definitely does have some really great ideas and holds some valid standpoints, but I feel his overall professionalism is laughable.

Some of his main campaign ideas, like taking away birth-right citizenship for children of illegals, just seem outlandish and fringe. Yet this man is currently leading Republican polls. He is completely ignorant towards foreign policy, and he bashes other GOP forefront runners constantly.

I feel that his lack of support for other candidates may lead to him trying to run as a third-party candidate. This would greatly hurt the Republican Party overall.

Does anyone else share my opinion?

2. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Donald Trump is definitely crude, crass and loud in every way possible. He's not going to be a good international role model, it seems to me he's just out there to make a performance out of politics.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Donald Trump is certainly a character out of the ordinary that's why it is puzzling to learn that he is on top of the list. I'm not against Trump nor I am for him. Besides, I am not an American voter. But I get emails and mesages from my relatives abroad on this issue. However, majority of them are happy that Trump is trumping his way to the nomination board and they think no one could give him a worthy fight as far as the survey ratings are concerned. And with Hillary on the other side, it would be easy picking for Trump.

4. Oropherion

Oropherion Member

If you're confused, I can list some reasons why Trump has become so popular.

He has never backed down on a single word he has ever said. If you've heard Republicans talk about Obama at all, you'd know they absolutely hate "flip-flopping" politicians. It gives the impression that they'll respect just about anyone that isn't liberal and never admits they were wrong or apologizes, ever, no matter what the circumstances.

He's very straightforward about what he wants to do. Granted, his ideas are awful, but at least they're ideas. Half of the current candidates, including Hillary Clinton, are so mysterious in their motives that it's hard to come up with a reason to actually vote for them. At least "I'm a disgusting, awful person" is a REASON to vote for Trump.

He's a circus sideshow. Every single thing he says just turns the motor on the media carousel. If he became president, every news outlet in the country would have the easiest job in the world; all you'd have to do is google "what did Donald Trump do today" and make a story out of the first thing that popped up.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Unfortunately I think that the road to the Whitehouse as become a popularity contest a long time ago, and trump knows that only to well.

The more you get I'm the headlines and say the right thing, things that people want to hear will go a long way to getting you elected.

The trouble is though, it's all very well saying what people want to hear, but when and if he does get into power, will he be able to actually implement what he's saying now?

6. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

It not just Donald Trump but most of the Republicans who are leading in the polls like Ben Carson have agendas that do really care about the minority. However, I do not think he will become president and even if he survives the Primary, the Democrats have stronger and more respected candidates.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Like Hillary Clinton?

8. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I can not stand the man, and think although he may have some redeeming qualities, he comes across as a complete narcisscist and blowhard. He is neither tolerant nor kind and is no role model. I agree about the "circus" aspect of the race especially on the Republican side. As some of the pundits have said, he appeals to the baser instincts in people, and that is not going to make America great again.

9. spaceboytaylor

spaceboytaylor Active Member

Honestly, I think even some of Trump's supporters are starting to not be able to take him seriously. If he keeps up this same method of spewing something controversial and doing something eccentric to make headlines, he will end up being more of a joke than a candidate by primaries.

10. chrisanswer

chrisanswer Member

Trump makes a lot of promises, like building a huge wall, and balancing the budget. Also lowering taxes for the rich, but these promises don't really fit together. How can you lower taxes, spend hundreds of millions on a wall, and balance the budget. People aren't buying it.