Why I Can't Take Donald Trump Seriously

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by FlyFish998, Sep 21, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

While I do take Trump seriously, I do believe he needs to drop the personal attack stuff. Sure, it makes good television, but at some point he's got to come across as a statesman, rather than entertainer. He's a smart guy, though, so will likely play the hand he's been dealt very deftly.

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

What bothers me the most about Trump the most is that he is so flamboyant with his riches whether they are real or perceived, I guess that will all come to light if he is required to show his money documentation that is required of candidates. I also seriously question how he can make decisions that effect the lower or middle class when he has no clue how we live. He could potentially ruin a lot of American lives. He is also a very arrogant man and I would not be proud to have him as a leader!

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I can't stand Donald Trump and would never vote for him. He's just a poser and has no real philosophy or convictions he's willing to stand by. It's all a game and reality show to him. He can't speak in depth about any issue. Everything is just a sound bite to him. He lacks depth on a whole multitude of issues. The other candidates make him look silly, especially when it comes to foreign policy, where it's pretty clear he's uninformed.

4. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

My favorite thing right now about Trump his now he is calling people from Mexico rapists.
    Except part of the reason Ivana divorced him was that she accused him of raping her when they were married.
    I guess rich white guys get a pass on sexual assault, where as Mexicans are considered guilty until they prove themselves innocent.

5. SteakTartare

That is not exactly what he said if you put it in context. The statement was:

“Thank you. It’s true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Statically speaking, illegal aliens commit a lot of crimes in this country, including many thousands of sex crimes. That's a well documented fact, so what he said was accurate. Granted, Trump made that statement in a pretty clumsy manner, and taken outside of context of the overall speech it sounds bad. However, it pretty clear he was not painting all, or even most, Mexican folks with that brush. And of those that are coming here illegally, many are indeed just seeking a better life, but a lot of them are involved in some pretty heinous activities. Denying that is absurd in the face of overwhelming evidence.

6. ScooterBrandon

Ah okay that makes a little more sense thank you for clearing that up. I guess he isn't saying they are all criminals, just some of the ones that come over illegally. I don't think any reasonable person could deny that.
    Wonder why he choose to say that "Mexico sends."
    I would think they people that Mexico "sends" would actually be there best and brightest, if the government was sending them here for legitimate reasons.
    I don't really think illegals are being "sent" as much as "fleeing."

7. SteakTartare

Agreed, that is kind of strange the way he worded it. It appears their government is more turning a blind eye to the whole thing. On the other hand, their government has produced pamphlets on how to cross the border, so I suppose I can see how one would draw that conclusion.

8. FlyFish998

FlyFish998 Member

Thank you all for your responses, I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one that sees the ridiculousness of the presidential race this year.

Oropherion - I really appreciate your response, that actually was very helpful. You are absolutely right about flip-flopping politicians and a serious lack of honesty among virtually every politician. So I guess he does have that going for him. I was also laughing at how news stations could simply Google what he did that day and make a news story out of anything. That really seems to hit the nail on the head.

TheApollonian - I absolutely agree. He is really putting on a performance and I can't make sense if it is simply for his own personal benefit or if he has some other motive.

Spaceboytaylor - This is exactly how I feel about him already! His "jokes" are really inappropriate especially for someone who is supposed to lead the nation.

9. greybird29

greybird29 Member

It is amazing to me that someone could “buy” their way to be the president of our United States; yet it seems money rules. Trump is a loud mouth, condemns others, minorities, women, children of emigrants the guy is relentless to whom he chooses to degrade. This whole election campaign is very odd at times it seems as if all the others are in a battle with him and he has the upper hand.
    As far as Carly Fiorina many folks were impressed with her during the last debate; I was not. I found her very interruptive and refused to hush when her time was up. I was absolutely shocked when her ratings increased so much the very next day.
    I do believe our President Obama has done good things for our country yet if he said the sky is blue most every Democrat will stand up, protest and sign a petition against a blue sky. I along with many others have a long way to go to actually understand politics…

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  10. ScooterBrandon

Holy Mackinaw I have never come across that, very interesting stuff from a legit source too.
    I could see the Mexican governments reason even if they were evasive as to it's real nature.
    It's easier to send the unemployed to another country then to actually deal with the root causes.
    Plus as it mentions, they send a lot of money back home.