Why is it so wrong?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Peninha, May 26, 2014.

1. mmmaske

mmmaske Guest

Also, if everybody told everyone else to shut up, either everyone keeps telling people to shut to or everyone would shut up and we'd live in a world without communication.

2. Leeaks

Leeaks Member

We can[t tell anybody to shut up because we live in Democracy. What you are asking relates to the one problem with a working democracy; what if all the people are idiots? If everyone has a vote, and everyone is an idiot, the votes will all be idiotic lol. But it's the only way that is fair. That's why America often makes poor political decisions, .... :)

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

LOL, actually I think it's the exact opposite, we can people to shut up because we live in a Democracy, we can say anything we want, what doesn't mean we should of course.

4. lwhite

lwhite Guest

You can tell people to shut up, but chances are, they won't listen to you. People like it when you are respectful towards them and saying "shut up" isn't really good if you want to accomplish anything. You can ask them nicely to stop talking. They would probably appreciate that more. You can also just walk away if the person talking is bothering you.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

If you want to tell someone to shut up, I say go for it. I find that most people will, if only for a small period of time, because they are so taken aback by the fact that you actually told them to shut up!

6. Power Post

Power Post Member

It's rude to just tell people to shut up, so you have to beat them with a superior argument. Sadly, that usually results in them talking more. I think that saying shut up also implies that you have no argument or comeback, so it's like an admittance of failure. Not to mention the fact that saying shut up doesn't get anyone to actually be quiet, and since physical violence isn't the answer arguments tend to turn into long and drawn out affairs when one person could have just shut up.

7. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I've heard many times that silence is the eloquence of wisdom, but I don't think that silence works in the politics lol, if you don't express yourself you don't exist and sometimes we just need to say what we have to, but sure that shut up is not the most adequate... :)

8. JayR17

JayR17 Member

It's completely justifiable to tell people to shut up, it's just whether or not they want to listen is up to them. Some people don't understand what they're saying and they really need someone to just make them quiet down. If anything just go ahead and ignore the person. That will bother them even more since they know they can't get a response out of you.

9. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Yeah, I agree that is justifiable, but at the same time social norms don't allow it and people might get upset because of it... Sometimes even if it's right doesn't mean we can do it.

10. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

It...depends on what circumstances you're saying it in I guess. For example, you can't just randomly tell someone to shut up just because you don't like them, or their opinion on something. I'd say you can only really say it if you're being offended by them, and even then.