Why is it so wrong?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Peninha, May 26, 2014.

1. Sam Tarly

Sam Tarly Member

Depending on the circumstances, I thin that it is perfectly fine to tell someone to shut up. Now, I really don't think this is something you should make a habit of doing because it is rude, but sometimes people just need to be told to stop talking, anytime someone is spouting racial or homophobic slurs, being rude to someone who doesn't deserve it, etc, feel free to tell them to shut their trap.

2. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I am not seeing where we can say shut up to anyone, only to kids maybe. If I say it to my wife, I am dead, at work, I get in trouble, in politics, unthinkable...

3. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I don't think you should just be telling kids to shut up either...

4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I believe as long as people have freedom os speech, they are going to speak all they want at different tones, I know what you mean , buy wanting to tell them to shut up, but they will not listen, I believe the best thing is to try and avoid them and ignore them as much as you could, even though it is not easy.

5. preyy

preyy Well-Known Member

In my opinion, arguing with an unworthy person that might rather bring chitchat throughout the conversation than actually try to prove a point of view would resemble a swordfight, but your opponent has solely got the hilt in his hand and couldn't potentially do any harm to you, whilst you could kill him swiftly kill him. In the end, you would leave the room victorious with little to no effort done by you.

6. healthandfitness

healthandfitness Well-Known Member

Being rude is a typical one-sided view of how you should be able to treat others you feel you can dominate, without public outcry. If you were the one being told to shut up by others, I am sure you would understand why disrespect is frowned upon.

If you do not agree with others you have the power to shut them out, but people never just "shut up" because you say so. If the person is not perceived as weaker than you, it is unlikely that you would venture to make such a statement, in fear of being thrashed. It is best to adhere to the golden rule.

7. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Yep, this is how society sees things healthandfitness, if we just told someone to shut up that would be considered rude in 90% of the cases. We live in a world where appearances rule.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

In an ideal situation, telling someone to shut up would make stop yelling but thing is the moment you do that, they'll turn their attention to you. Unless you were prepared for a yelling contest [which would negate whatever goals you had in mind] then it's best to let whoever is doing the talking to do it by himself because at least you save yourself the embarrassment that could follow. I've seen people who tried to get others to "shut up" but ended up being part of the group doing the yelling.

9. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Yes, in the moment you say shut up it's like a personal attack and usually things can get worse than they were, eventually is better to get our of the way... :)

10. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

It even gets worse most of the time, the more you tell someone to shut up, or even to quiet down, it seems the more aggravated they become and the louder they shout.