Why is the euro declining so much recently?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by queenbellevue, Mar 20, 2015.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Just look at what is happening with other currencies and economies. It's true that the Fed stopped asset purchases a while back, which is generally a good thing IMO. They shouldn't be giving the markets so much artificial stimulus.

Seems to me that you think the government does / should have a large role in these things.

My thinking is much the opposite.

HFT is fine IMO as long as they are not getting preferential treatment by any exchanges. How can you tell someone that they cannot build or buy a better or faster computer than you, or develop an automated system that is very intelligent? As long as you're not trying to scalp manually (a losing proposition for almost everyone sooner or later), what they and others do shouldn't worry you. It's not (or shouldn't be) a zero sum game.

2. yuki808

yuki808 Member

This is exactly what I've been saying about Yen currently. Japan's economy recently has been I guess in turmoil. The reason is currently unknown and I mean it's great for people traveling from the US to Japan. I believe this morning, it was 120 yen ($1.25) to one American dollar? Does anyone know the reason why? Is it because of the Tsunami of 2011? Or is it due to Japan's different political scandals that happen on the daily?

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

In the last days the euro has been recovering and is more strong when comparing to the dollar. To be honest, the reasons for this are hard to understand. Eventually the weaker the coin is, the better chances of having a positive commercial balance?

4. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

As long as the Greek drama continues to be at the forefront, the euro will be volatile against a lot of the major currency. And it's always a pair-trade situation. So against the dollar (and perceived US growth) the euro doesn't really look great. And even against the UK pound, which has been very weak as well against the dollar, it hasn't looked good.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Wednesday is the next day when Greece should somehow be able to pull out 750 million to pay back their debt. So in other words, they've got 2 days to get another loan from someone (ECB, IMF) to pay back the one that will expire.

6. Jaxon

Jaxon Senior Investor

Due to the coronavirus issue euro price dropped heavily but a few days back when I just overview the euro price from FreshForex broker then saw it now in a stable price so hope it will go higher.