Why Renting An Apartment On Craiglist Might Not Be a Good Idea

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Renting a room, home, apartment online comes with numerous risks. There are a lot of scammers prowling the net looking for their next victim. Should you see an ad that seems too good to be true then it probably isn't. And . . . never pay any security deposits to someone you've never met and before you actually take a look around the house you'll be renting.

And Landlords, you too should avoid Craiglist because scammers can pose as the landlord rent out your apartment(s) and you'll have a hard time convincing the duped tenants that their security deposits weren't paid to you.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

My nephew had advertised his condo in Facebook. He was renting it out a few months back and he even wanted me to handle it. The prospective tenant would respond to the ad and they would chat online for details. Once the prospective tenant would have the intention to go for an ocular, a person would be at the condo to entertain them. And when a deal is closed, the tenant would shell out the advance and the deposit to the administrator and they will be given the key. That simple. But I agree that there are scammers so be careful in dealing with strangers.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Dealing with prospective customers online can be rather tricky. The old school method works well enough for me. Let the tenants find out from others, caretakers that there is an empty apartment. Meet the tenant and find out [first impressions do matter] if he's the sort of tenant who can be a good neighbor [to your other tenants]. You want peace after all.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Finding a tenant online is definitely becoming more popular these days but I would recommend that you meet that person at least once before either if you sign any sort of contract.

I wouldn't be able to sleep sound at night knowing that I had a property that was being lived in by somebody I'd never even met, even though the rent and bills are paid on time, I'd still have a nagging doubt in my mind.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

@Rainman and @pwarbi, I agree that online ads are now more popular than those in the printed newspapers. The logic there is the interaction in the website unlike the newspaper ads where you have to call. Besides, an online ad is more complete with details and even photos are unlimited. On the side of the tenant, you can leave it for another prospect but if you liked it then the only thing left is an ocular. On the part of the landlord, the usual procedure is implemented - interview of the applying tenant as to the capacity to pay.

6. nytegeek

nytegeek Well-Known Member

Avoiding craigslist is not the answer. Having some common sense about responding to or placing an ad is the answer. You could get killed crossing the street, but I'm not going to confine myself to a city block and walk in circles because of it.

7. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Well that's obvious. Anyone that pays someone that they haven't met or even looked at the place in question, is very ignorant and foolish. There are tons of risks, that's why it's best to keep checking back to see if the ad is still there. Most times, ads that are scams get flagged quickly and removed. Also if there aren't any pictures with the ad that's a red flag. Or like you said, too good to be true (in most cases).

8. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I would never had over money to somebody I never met for a place that I have never even seen. That is just asking for trouble. Scamming prey on these people. Well most people would have enough common sense not to do such a thing there are others who would fall for it. It happens all the time. As long as people are falling for it and they are making money they will continue to do it.