Why The Obamacare Exchanges Are Failing

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Nov 27, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-27/why-obamacare-exchanges-are-failing

The Obamacare ACA Healthcare exchanges are collapsing of their own weight. 12 of the 23 originally set up have failed, and others are facing 40% premium increases. How's hope and change working for you? Are you running, screaming, off into the woods at night yet?

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

That is in an interesting article. I've read elsewhere that Obamacare is slowly imploding. Maybe congress should have read the bill before passing it. And that hope and change stuff, pretty much all of it, has been one gigantic fail.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

It's funny how the American government spends as much on public health as most nations, yet lacks a comprehensive health system like other first world countries?
    Anyone know why this is?

4. SteakTartare

An enormous, unaccountable, grossly incompetent government that has turned waste into an art form tops the list. Case in point would be the billion dollar, which was originally "only" supposed to cost $394 Million, Obamacare sign up site that didn't even work. And that is just one glaring example of the waste and corruption
    that goes on.

Throw in the fact poverty and other social ills are much worse in this society and it gets clearer. Finally, with a massive amount of people can't or won't find work, only about half of the folks with an income are actually paying taxes, so public health has to cover those that can't afford care.

It is a mess with no easy answers.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I do not want a "comprehensive healthcare system". I do not want the govt telling me what is or isn't covered, who my doctor has to be, how much it will cost, what procedures I do or don't need, etc. I want the freedom to seek out whatever health insurance I want to have, and to be able to shop around the US for it.

We already had systems in place for those who could not afford health insurance or who were otherwise un-insurable.

Our system certainly wasn't perfect, but it is now far worse. If you want to fix something in a capitalist country that affects the entire country, you do it piecemeal - not by forcing big govt socialization that takes over 16% of the economy.

And why has it always been that the MAJOR procedures well-to-do foreigners had done were usually done here? I have friends who are doctors. Many are retiring early and finding other ways to make a living - it really sucks to go from working very hard to earn $1 mil a year to having to work even harder to barely make 6 figures. Why spend all of that time and money in school, plus work oneself to an early death and have to put up with even more of the crap they have to put up with for so little?

6. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Was never a fan of the bill in the first place. Consider myself Liberal, but not an Obama fan, and I sure as hell did NOT want to be mandated by the government to just hand money over to for-profit insurance companies that had a hand in crafting the frikking bill in the first place.

7. SteakTartare

Agreed, the system pre-Obamacare was not perfect, and there was areas that needed attention. But this present disaster has done little to address those issues and has resulted in an almost endless parade of unintended consequences. As bad as those consequences have been, I fear more are coming with respect to our health care system and overall economy. Not to mention the lunacy of ramrodding it through Congress before it could be fully analyzed and modified was outrageous and speaks volumes about those that wanted to get it into law immediately.

8. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Right Obamacare is messed up I get that, but the American government (and individual states) were spending just as much as Canada on health care/medicare ect before Obama was in office, but with drastically less services for its citizens.
    Why is this? Is this because it's so expensive to seek treatment in the USA?

9. turt

turt Guest

Something needed to be done since it was impossible to buy health insurance if you don't qualify for Medicaid. If you made $15,000, you pay nothing. If you make $16,000 (and your single), you need to shell out near $3,000 for a good plan. How does that make sense? So basically, they can't afford health insurance and they don't pay their bill when they go to the hospital. Then you have illegal immigrants that make way over $15,000 that get all their treatments for free right out of the emergency room.

The bill did introduce good things like not begin able to drop coverage but the fact is, it did nothing but line the pockets of insurance companies.

The problem with healthcare in this country it the fact that we have to see overqualified people for simple things. You have a sinus infection and you have to see someone with a PhD... Why? I'm pretty sure a two year degree and practical training will get someone the knowledge they need to diagnose common infections and stitch wounds etc. But instead, a simple stitch will cost you $800.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Obamacare was all about wealth redistribution and government control of the population.

Obama was big on Saul Alinski:

1)Healthcare- Control healthcare and you control the people

2) Poverty- Increase the Poverty level as high as possible, poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live.

3) Debt- Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty.

4) Gun Control- Remove the ability to defend themselves from the Government. That way you are able to create a police state.

5) Welfare- Take control of every aspect of their lives (Food, Housing, and Income)

6) Education (and media)- Take control of what people read and listen to – Take control of what children learn in school.

7) Religion- Remove the belief in the God from the Government and schools

8) Class Warfare- Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to take (Tax) the wealthy with the support of the poor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016