Why You Never Should Judge Homeless People

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, May 19, 2015.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

@gracer... true, that movie got me in tears like crazy too... not everyone wants to be down in the dump or wrote an application in that regard, they found themselves there, i guess diamonds are found in the rough don't you think?! Someone once said; 'the only way up is down.'

2. BullishFTW

BullishFTW Member

oops post :cool:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  3. BullishFTW

BullishFTW Member

Thanks to good ole Ronald Reagan for crippling the mental health industry.

4. CarpeNemo

CarpeNemo Well-Known Member

Thank you. My point wasn't that there aren't people who don't willingly live this way - there are, just the same as the welfare queens - but many are stuck. Demonizing them makes them trivial, and that's criminal to me. The lazy ones who like the homeless lifestyle (and like I said, there are some) will still be lazy and homeless even if tomorrow we instituted a basic income policy in America. They'd just be lazy, homeless, and have slightly more money for whatever it is they do.

Most of the homeless don't want to be, and work hard to get out of the trap, but sadly they get the same label or stereotype as the visible minorities that don't.

5. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I know right? :) I don't know anyone who hasn't been emotional watching that movie. You're right! Sometimes we find gold in a pile of dump. The guy was able to tackle all the hardships of being broke and poor and he found hope. It's truly an inspirational movie because it showed how someone can rise from his/her lowest point and be able to succeed in life.

6. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Remind me, its based on a true life story... right?! The part that really teared me up, is them sleeping in a toilet... that just messed me up to the core, recently I was asking an elder lady, how come our life is so difficult {us young people} unlike in their day, she said we are too many plus jobs are quite view hence the big divide... sometimes I feel as if am re-living my own pursuit for happyness... I know a brighter day is in store.

7. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Yes it's based on a true story so that's what makes it more inspirational because you know it did happen in real life and look at what the main character achieved in the end, he found success amidst all the odds. You know I remember crying almost the whole time while watching the movie. I've even pondered about it for a few days too. I was thinking, if I was the one on that kind of situation maybe I would have felt so helpless and have gone crazy. The movie presented us the struggles homeless people have to go through and as much as we try, we really can't keep a blind eye on these people because not all of them are plain lazy and addicted. Some of them are victims of circumstances they just couldn't avoid. :(