Will Bernie see it through to the end?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Hedonologist, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

His odds of even becoming democratic nominee are now 18/1 and rising. I think it's pretty clear that his odds will only get worse, so will he see it through right to the end, or drop out when it becomes obvious even to him that it is beyond all possibility that he will be selected?

He did pull off a miracle in Michigan, but I think that was a one off.

2. artyarson

artyarson Active Member

No, I don't believe in him. In the end, there will be Clinton versus Trump. Who wins in this battle I can't really say.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

On the other hand, The Chicago Tribune published a blistering op-ed exposing why Bernie should just hang it up.

I think on principle he'll keep going forward, but for all intents and purposes the guy is done.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

No surprise. Consider that paper is in Chicago with a strange mayor in Rahm Emanuel and houses a faction of Soros' MoveOn disrupters.

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think he will continue to stay in, as the Atlantic article pointed out the longer he is in the race the more a progressive agenda can be supported by the congress. He should go for it, and continue to keep moving America a little further to the left. I know that is an unpopular opinion here, but I think we would be better off in many ways.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

It looks like Bernie Sanders is a goner as far as the Democrat nomination is concerned. I pity the man because I see that he's got the brains especially with his concern to global warming. I like his stand on the alternative energy which he calls sustainable energy like solar power and wind power. But that's the problem with democracy, the people choose their leader and in party conventions, the same method is used - voting by party members or delegates. On the other side of the fence, the same sentiment is being aired by the Republicans against Donald Trump who looks like a winner at this early.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

I think that Bernie seems like the type of guy that will take it to the end, as long as he can. That said, though, it is looking less and less like he will make it and it will be a Clinton ticket. I am disappointed, because I was a Bernie fan and I think that he is best option when it comes to list of candidates, which is worse than any other that I can remember.

9. petesede

petesede Guest

There are 3 reasons Bernie should stay in

1. His message - He has already moved Hillary toward his agenda, she basically uses his speech now on the stump. He is also building more grassroots efforts against the rigged economy, campaigne finance and lobbysts. This my not bear fruit now, but he is educating young people about the issue and they will remember it. At this point he has so much money, he can easily just keep doing what he is doing to spread the message.

2. A Hillary indictment - If the improbable does happen and she is indicted, or at least it blows up in a major way, if he stays in the race it prevents the democrats from picking an emergency backup. If he is out of the race and Hillary blows up, the establishment will give it to Biden. If Bernie is close to Hillary in delegates, they can´t do that.

3. Closing the gap and super delegates - If Bernie can keep it close with the delegates from the primaries, it is possible he would convince super-delegates to come to his side. Remember, superdelegates DO NO VOTE until the convention. Yes, many of them say they back Hillary, but that is not set in stone... and even if she isn´t indicted before the convention, if things appear to be getting hot for her, many could jump to Bernies side.

For me, I hope he stays in. I would love to see a tax on day-trading pay for free university for everyone.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Sanders won't drop out any time soon.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...sanders-dismisses-talk-of-dropping-out-absurd
    It's very unlikely that he'll drop out when the "working class" still wants him in the race. He's just delusional.