Will Changes To So-called Obamacare Create Investment Opportunities?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by longtermbull, Nov 12, 2016.

1. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

Even though Donald Trump is starting to water down some of his more extreme policies there will be significant changes to so-called Obamacare. Will this create stock market investment opportunities going forward?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

My broker's sector review suggests the health care sector to profit from the Trump presidency. The pharmaceutical companies, in particular, are expected to fare better without the overhang of Clinton's comments.

3. longtermbull

Sounds sensible as I think Trump will take a more business like approach rather than increasing taxes and plundering the public purse.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree about the healthcare sector. My biotech stocks have largely been on fire the last week, and I'm very encouraged that this will continue to be a great place for upside... And if Trump and the Republicans can perhaps cut some of the FDA over-regulation out, all the better...

If he holds true to his promise to "bomb the shit out of" ISIS, I'd imagine that many of the defense - related companies will do well. :D

I mentioned a while back buying the stocks of a couple of private prison companies who declined sharply during one day when the DOJ announced the feds would no longer use private prisons - those 2 companies came roaring back particularly after the election.

The gun manufacturers like SWHC and RGR that I've long owned shares of sold off hard, but they look like bargains now and appear to be creeping back up.

US Steel is up 34% in the last 5 days, and energy stocks have also breathed a big sigh of relief.

5. longtermbull

Trump will certainly keep investors on their toes!

6. JR Ewing

Financials have also been doing very well on the prospect of Dodd-Frank and other onerous regs being gutted or repealed.

7. longtermbull

If Trump can simplify the financial regulator system surely that must be a positive? For years governments around the world have added layer up layer of new regulations. Time for a fresh start?

8. JR Ewing

Yes, most who did not write Dodd-Frank and the ACA agree that they are too much.

Tags: