Will Tech Giants Disappear? Cisco's CEO Thinks So

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by PaulSchinider, May 21, 2014.

1. PaulSchinider

PaulSchinider Well-Known Member

Cisco Systems CEO John Chambers foresees massive consolidation in the tech industry and says some big names may disappear in the future

Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO) CEO John Chambers appeared for the 23rd time on Cisco Live, the company’s IT conference, with this message: the next few years will be “brutal” for the technology industry. He predicted that there will be a lot of consolidation in the IT industry, and a few big names may be relegated to nothingness within a few years.Chambers pointed out that technology has been evolving at speeds twice those seen three years ago. He warned companies: “You’re going to see a brutal, brutal consolidation of the IT industry.” He went on to add that within the next ten years, a lot of high-tech players currently in the industry will be extinct. He was pointing fingers at the big five legacy tech companies – Cisco, Microsoft Corporation (MSFT),International Business Machines Corp. (IBM), Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ), and Oracle Corporation (ORCL) – saying a few will go belly-up within a few years.Chambers did not say exactly which of the big five tech companies would disappear, but seemed to be hinting at HP and IBM, which he said have failed to see any revenue growth in the last two and a half years. He substantiated his argument citing research from Gartner and companies’ own earnings reports.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. turt

turt Guest

I doubt any of the five mentioned will be gone in the next few years. If they only dealt with consumer products, I'd agree, but they don't. All five of these companies have established business with large corporations which won't change for a while (look at how long many stuck with Windows XP!). I'd say HP is the most likely to fail out of all five.

3. 2times

2times Member

yes the tech giants will dissapear. youll see. the will dissapear soon in the future with at the rate they are going.

4. 2times

2times Member

or maybe they will make a comeback. i dont even know, only time will tell if the tech giants will dissapear or not, at this rate yes they will. but who even knows. hell google could just crash one day. we never know what could happen lol

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I can definitely see HPQ getting absorbed by competitors one way or another.

Tags: