Will Tech Giants Disappear? Cisco's CEO Thinks So

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by CandraLovell, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Tara

Tara Active Member

I think Josh Chambers is correct. In my lifetime, I have seen many large and once stable corporation disappear from the landscape. CandrallLovell has stated some of the tech companies that have already disappeared. Tech companies are not immune to consolidation or not being able to keep up with the changing technology. Palm Inc is a company that I thought would be around for a long, long time. RIM, now Blackberry, is barely hanging on.

I really don't see Microsoft hanging around for 20 years. It took them a long time to move away from the software update model. Now, they are entering into an already crowded and razor profit hardware industry. I personally don't like HP so I can't be objective about it.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

That sounds like the never ending cycle Gelsemium. Big companies would always buy small companies all the time to make more profit. Its just that some of these tech giants are gaining more and losing less.

3. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Exactly, if we are a young kid and we are offered millions for our company, anyone has the capacity of saying no?

4. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

They just might have the capacity to say no, but those big companies offers are sometimes can't be refused, meaning, if you refuse you are in trouble and they can force you to sell.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Some tech giants will disappear or they may choose to avoid being bought by larger companies opt for a merger of sorts which technically could be the same as disappearing. But it won't happen any time soon. Depends entirely on how smart their people are. In today's tech world, if you think up something new then probably that gives a shot in the arm until someone creates something better. The disappearance of some tech giants [from the market] should concern us because once the big companies control the entire tech industry the prices they'll charge for their products . . .

6. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member

In my opinion this might happen. Not in this decade but maybe in the next one. However, there are plenty of tech corporations and competition is really hard.

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Its very possible to have a event like that happen right away. Though it can take time for the some tech giants to get bought out.

8. troutski

troutski Guest

I can see a number of tech giants disappearing by being bought out by larger companies, although that doesn't technically mean they're gone. Otherwise, I could see a far smaller number of companies folding rather than being bought out. A company's outlook is constantly changing, and the companies that fail to adapt to the changing times will certainly falter and potentially fold.

9. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

I wouldn't be surprised if HP or HTC hit the dumper. Dell had some issues for awhile too. Reflecting back, it was hard to believe a juggernaut like Blackberry would fall from grace so swiftly, but they aren't much of anything any more. Same can be said for Motorola. Nintendo is having a rough time and I'm sure we can all think of a few others.

10. petesede

petesede Guest

Unless you have patents that preven competition, there is very little that the big companies offer than smaller companies don´t do better. IBM and HWP had name recognition for years and were trusted by many people, but now younger people are making business decisions and are able to do their own research without just trusting a brand name.