Will your area be accepting Syrian refuges?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ScooterBrandon, Dec 11, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

The first set of them are arriving to Canada as we speak.
    Many places around the world will be helping give a new home to these displaced people.
    I am personally going down to meet them this weekend and see if they need any food, groceries or rides around town. I want them to feel welcome in their new home and I also want them to be able to integrate into the community as smoothly as possible. I can't imagine how hard this must be for them, especially since their are a lot of ignorant/racist people who actually oppose helping them.

These poor souls have had their homes destroyed by no fault of their own, and I feel a moral obligation to ensure they are given a warm welcome.
    It's the proper Canadian thing to do (it's the proper human thing to do.)

Does your area have similar plans? If they don't, what are you doing to change that?

2. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

They are accepted in our state, but it doesn't matter. Even the states they're not accepted in, they'll make their way to. There's no stipulations on them not being able to cross state lines at all. They will eventually make their way to ALL states.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I do feel sorry for the the genuine refugees and they do need help. That's why camps have been set up in neighbouring countries of Syria so they can go there and be safe.

The fact is though, that these camps are practically empty apart from the women and children, while the men want to go further afield in order to enhance their lives. That isn't a refugee, that's an immigrant using the refugee crisis to their own advantage.

That's what I don't agree with, but that is what the respective governments are allowing to happen.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

While I disagree with Trump saying that we don't need any new muslims coming in, I do believe that we should stop accepting immigrants from certain areas at this time, and that we should not take in anyone who cannot be thoroughly vetted and verified.

http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-detains-8-europe-bound-suspects-posing-refugees-112604479.html

On the humanitarian front, I think nations getting together to move those refugees into safer parts of their own countries is a better idea for all at this time.

5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't feel there is much to do as a citizen if you don't want to take on refugees and your government is hell-bent on it. The whole discussion is so toxic right now, and even a hint of hesitation about the "refugees" is met with charges of bigotry and Islamophobia. Donald Trump is a billionaire, he can afford to shoot off his mouth; but what about the average person who has serious and well-considered reservations?

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yes, we have a lot of them here. Newsflash, they don't want or need your food. Here they even went on a hunger strike because "the food isn't good enough". And the large majority of them have a better mobile phone than I do so so much for giving them stuff. :D

On the other hand, violence against police, rapes and sexual assaults have gone through the roof around the areas of these refugee centers. Looks like they really feel at home since that is what it's like for them at home! ;)

Thankfully Europe is starting to make political choices to end the endless stream of "refugees". I sincerely hope (against all odds) that you will have better results in Canada than we did here.

7. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Our country has already started to take it's share of the Syrian refugees coming from the camps along the borders, however we have also been taking in a lot more "unofficial" numbers most of which are unaccompanied children and it's been reported that so many are coming in that the social services systems are almost at breaking point in the local areas.

I'm all for helping the genuine refugees but I think there needs to be set numbers while as it is now it is causing a few problems if the reports are anything to go by.

8. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The UK will only take refugees directly from the camps, which allows some control of where to house them and to ensure support when it happens. I find there is more chaos when it's not organized. It seems they will take more families to keep them together (and less of a risk) as they are more likely to settle and integrate.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

The Philippines is considered a 3rd world country so it is not appropriate to take in refugees. How would we feed them when we have so many poor people in our midst? In the 1970s, the Vietnamese refugees came here and all we did was provide a refugee center (it was walking distance to the house of my friend in Mandaluyong City). The refugee center was there for 5 years - it was used to process the refugees before sending them all to the US. No refugee was left here and they are now American citizens.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While the Philippines might not be in any position to take any refugees, there are a lot of countries that are in a position but are a keeping very quiet.

Some of the richest countries in the world are turning a blind eye and letting countries who are less stable do more of the work.