Woah, Netflix!

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by 111kg, Sep 9, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Guest

Is anyone else watching NFLX? It's gone up more than 7%!
    Why is anyone rushing to buy it? Am I the single one that thinks that NFLX is absurdly overpriced?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I sold out completely by the time it got into the low 500's a few months back.

3. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

> Why is anyone rushing to buy it?

They're doubling down on Spanish language shows.
    They just launched in Japan this week.
    News came today that they will launch early next year in South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan with the goal of covering all of Asia by the end of 2016.

World domination happening here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  4. 111kg

111kg Guest

:D Someday they will launch in Romania too. I barely watch TV anymore (big fan of the Popcorn app), but I would definitely pay for Netflix.

Now to be ontopic, from what I read, the sudden jump has something to do with the new Apple release, although I don't understand the process.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

A value investor would have a stroke attempting to perform an analysis of Netflix. Can you spell mo-mo?

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I can't for the life of me see why this would be. I have Netflix and other than their own original TV series's like Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards...their selection of movies is horrible. The other thing is that it is easy to share the membership with others so they are cutting down on some potential revenue, but I guess their users like that. They do have reasonable prices. I guess it is maybe because people are buying streaming sticks and so forth and alternative media that usually includes Netflix.

7. ContrarianBull54

ContrarianBull54 New Member

Hey all! It's your favorite contrarian bull charging in again!

Arguments FOR Netflix:
    1) Netflix has over 65 million subscribers and now growing on new (and more populous) continents for the first year ever. Let them share. It won't matter.
    2) Netflix is the future. The movie selection might stink today, but they could easily become one of the biggest production companies in a couple decades.

Netflix might be scary short, but as far as the eternally long game go, this is a freaking 401k.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Finding David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" (1990) TV series made it a happy day here. Unappreciated in the day, but it is a marvelous show, cast and music... and a dancing dwarf!

As to the quality of new movies, how can one blame Netflix for its offerings after you look at the garbage being made today?

$NFLX is outside my comfort zone as a conservative investment but CNBC FM peeps think $92-95 is a decent entry point for a trade. Obviously it is too soon to determine the impact, if any, of yesterday's $AAPL TV launch announcement. I can't imagine if it will be significant.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

As more people ditch cable TV we'll be seeing the Cable TV companies do something. They won't just let their customers go. They'll launch streaming services which will compete against Netflix. So while currently Netflix dominates the market it won't be long before they start losing some of their subscribers.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I need to see far more revenue to justify getting back in. 5-6 billion in annual revenues with barely a quarter billion or so in profit is a tough case to make for a 40-50 billion market cap. I made a killing here from late '12 to early '15 - bought it at $79, sold some at $300, some in the $400's, and the last little bit above $530 or so. Maybe I'll buy in again a little in the future on a big pullback - particularly if sales and profits are higher.