Woman born a man sent to all male prison

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Oct 27, 2015.

1. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

Once you undergo those changes, it should be considered a legal change. If you don't have male parts anymore, you're no longer a male. Putting her into a male prison is just cause for all kinds of problems, and it makes her a much bigger target. Hopefully she is in isolation and far away from all of those men.

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The issue isn't one of gender, but what is legal. You can change your name and gender, but you can't change your birth certificate and that is what the law currently uses to determine gender.

I saw an episode of Law and Order SVU with this scenario and it's the state law that decides what someones gender is. It's about paperwork and what the law says. The problem here is that people expect the law to change, but why should someone get special treatment? It opens the floodgates for other cases, the criminal justice system is a system and not one that adapts to criminals needs.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

In some cases I do agree with this and it should stand against those who are just saying they identify as a different gender and as a completely made-up gender, as the latest trend seems to be, but I do not agree in cases where the person has had physical surgery to change their gender where medical professionals even state that their gender has changed. Protocol has to be followed but I think there needs to be a slight bit of leeway as in these cases.

Anyway, I heard on the radio last night that she is going to be sent to a female prison, so I can imagine that's a great deal of relief for her and her family who were worried about her.