Woman jumps in the swim after a cruise ship

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Alex, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Here is a crazy story which makes you think, are some people really rational or sensible. Susan Brown, who is 65 was on a cruise with her husband, but they fell out and argued and left the ship and bought some plane tickets back to the UK from Madeira.

She couldn't find her husband (he had got on the plane) and thought he had got back on the ship which had set sail. For some reason she jumped into the sea to swim after the ship to catch up with it. After three hours she was rescued, and she was examined by a psychologist.
    The husband made it back to the UK, and didn't question where his wife was. I think people wonder why she thought she could out swim a cruise ship, and why didn't she just ask the airport to put a call out for him?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/29/pictu...ruise-ship-after-it-left-without-her-5782945/

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Goodness, she swam for about four hours before she was rescued. I don't know what's gotten into her... Oh, the things we do for love. She's very lucky that these fishermen saw her or else something bad could have happened to her. I wonder though what her husband thinks of the situation and is he in the hospital even?

I hope she recovers from hypothermia and gets this incident behind her. Maybe this can be a second life for her and her relationship, in case they would want to rekindle their romance. Although, it's such a huge fight that her husband has even managed to leave her behind. I just wish someone is there with her in this difficult time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, I hope they kept her on a psychiatric hold for awhile. I mean who would do that? I once lost my then husband on a ferry that was crossing the Delaware Bay. I was not sure if he had gotten on or was still off the ship. I said I am not leaving with out him and jumped off the gangplank as they were about to raise it. Fortunately, he was still in the terminal, We caught the next ferry. Never, would it occur to me to swim after the ship though! lol.

4. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

I thin there is a pretty clear subtext that she was not rational for some reason, whether it was the stress of the moment, mental illness, or a medical issue. The media are just being unusually restrained and not hammering that point.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

I am curious as to what her plans were once she caught up to the ship. I cannot imagine that it would be easy to climb aboard a cruise ship, let alone get someone's attention to get up there. I am glad that she got evaluated when she was rescued, because certainly there was something going on there. Just another crazy story for a Tuesday afternoon.

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I feel like she was caught in the heat of the moment. Sure it might have something to do with love but sometimes in stressful moments we just act irrationally like the woman. Also, it's great that they're having her checked because I'm not entirely sure about her case.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

When the story first broke, people thought it was a hoax, but when the cruise ship confirmed two passengers had asked to leave the ship and had assisted in helping them buy plane tickets, then people knew there was truth in it. They added the husband arrived alone at Bristol airport and was being questioned on what happened.

In any case it seems like a bad row, and also the woman is unstable. Most people are amazed she managed to swim as far as he did for so long too.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Just another crazy person that probably shouldn't be allowed outside. We have so many of these nowadays...

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Swim after a cruise ship for four hours? If she thought her husband had gone back in then the better option would be for her to find him in the next port. Crazy that she thought she'd swim fast enough to catch up and probably even board the cruise ship. Apparently, the net is making it easier for us to all know how dumb people can be.